Chapter 14

"How dare you Jake......!" I heard Alex behind me. His teeth were grinded, his fists were clenched, and it seemed a volcano could erupt out of his eyes any moment. His eyes had the fierce look of a predator.  He was in an attacking position, ready to pounce on Jake. The calm and innocence had run out of the window. I had never thought I’d see this side of Alex.

"Alex...stop!" I intervened. I couldn't let them fight over me. I didn’t want things to take a turn for worse between them. Already I had made things bitter enough for them. It had been a while since I had seen them hug or laugh or do anything close to what brothers do. I had made their relationship formal.

"No way, he's crossed the limit this time." Alex marched forward.

"Back off!" Jake yelled.

"Don't you dare talk to her like that."  Alex retorted.

"Oh yeah? Who are you to tell me that? She's my girlfriend not yours. You still have a crazy little crush on her don't you?" Jake said.

"Yes, I love her. Always will. But that doesn't change anything."

I froze. This wasn’t the confession I was planning on hearing right now. I thought Alex had moved on, at least that is what I wanted to believe. But his words brought back the sour truth. I held to couch to stay erect. I was losing my balance.

"She's practically a waste of time bro; you think you can get some with her? I couldn't."

Alex slapped him. Jake looked wilder than ever, ready to retaliate. He punched Alex real hard. Blood started dripping out of Alex’s nose. But Jake didn’t seem done yet. He went for another blow, this time straight into the chest. Jake was wearing one of those metal knuckles that pierced straight into the skin. I wonder why he was wearing them. This was going way out of hand. I had to stop it. Where was Jane when we need her the most?

"Alex, please. Let me handle it. It's my fight. Please leave us alone for now." I tried to make peace.

Alex flinched at my words. He looked uncomfortable. His anger seemed to melt in agony and despair. He bowed his head down and retreated. Slowly, he left the room. I didn't mean that. I didn't mean to hurt Alex. Again. I'd lost count of the number of times I'd hurt him. He had always been there for me.

He went straight into his room, banging the door behind him. Jake marched out of the room too, fumbling at every step. Alex was hurt. Because of me. I went straight to his room and knocked gently. No answer. I cleared my throat and said, “Alex, please let me in. Don’t shut me out like this. I need you. I feel so alone right now. I didn’t mean what I said out there. It was just to stop the matters from getting worse. I’m really sorry.”  I didn’t know what Alex was thinking but I could swear by my life that every word I said right now was true.

My confession was followed by momentary silence. I was very scared. What if Alex didn’t understand me? I couldn’t afford on losing him. I had become very attached to him. He was one of my only friends in the city. Slowly, the door opened. He was bleeding badly.

“Oh my god Alex, you’re bleeding so badly. Let me bandage it.”  I came forward but Alex backed away.

“You still haven’t forgiven me, have you?” I said.

“Some wounds can’t be healed with medicine, Kate.” Alex muttered.

“Sssh…” I placed my finger on his lips. “Let the doctor do her job. Don’t talk to me afterwards but let me dress your wounds. You need help.”

I quickly ran downstairs into the kitchen and asked Margaret for the first-aid box. When I returned, Alex was sitting on his bed, beside the fireplace. I sat beside him. I slowly unbuttoned his shirt. He pursed his lips, apparently very uncomfortable. His body glowed majestically in the light of the fire, each muscle, every tendon seemed to have been shaped in perfection. It seemed to get exceptionally hot in the room. Both of us seemed to be blazing with passion when I touched his chest. As I looked into his eyes, I realized he was everything I had ever wanted and more. He was the one who had always loved me, truly and unconditionally. This was the man who’d do anything for me. He was “The One” probably. Maybe I had fallen in love with him. I leaned in to kiss him. He kissed me back. Those two seconds were magical, but suddenly Alex withdrew.

“I’m sorry, this isn’t right.” He said.

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list so you dont miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }