Chapter 70

We finally completed 100k reads!! Is this even for real? Thank you for your love and support.

PS- I got a new little trailer made for the upcoming chapters. Do check it out! (Linked with the chapter) <3

Few days later, as I handed the coffee to Chris while he was sitting on the terrace playing random notes on his guitar, I noticed he was lost in some deep thoughts.  I sat down beside him and he wrapped his arm around my back and I laid my head on his shoulder.

“I’m thinking about moving back to New York City.”

I looked at him anxiously. “Why? Is it me?”

“No…it’s not you. I came here for a reason. I need to get back to my life.”

“So….what about us?”

“Come with me to New York. There are many big magazines that will be happy to hire you. In fact I sent out a couple of your assignments to some editors. I think you have a shot in the Cosmopolitan.”

“I don’t know.”

Meg and Brian threw us a little farewell party at the end of the week. I promised her I would visit every now and then and it was the first time I had seen her cry in a long time. She kissed my forehead and wished me to find in Chris all the happiness I deserve. I couldn’t help but break down into a few tears myself too.

*************************************************************************************

New York is a big city and by big, I mean really, really big. A person like me can easily get lost in the jostling crowd moving up and down, day and night. I was a bit overwhelmed as I got down on the airport and already got pushed and pulled into the crowd but Chris protected me; creating a shield with his arms around me.

Although he really insisted on moving in with him, this time I decided to have a place of my own. I didn’t want to feel homeless and lost again. So I rented an apartment. Few days later, I rang up the number Chris had given me.

“Hi, I’m Katy…..Katherine Hayden. I was selected for a job by Amanda.”

“Oooh Amanda’s girl? I’ll connect you to her.”

“Who’s this?” A different girl answered this time. Her voice was filled with attitude. I had read that Amanda was supposed to be the star-assistant of the editor and was her mere puppet.

“Hi Amanda, I’m Katy. You reviewed my article on ‘High heels and low lives’. You wrote you might have an opening for me?”

“I want an interview for the next issue. If I like it, you’re hired.”

“Sure, who do you want me to interview?” I asked casually.

“Mr. Alexander Parker, from the Parker Groups & Industries; I’ll have Liz email you the contact details. Start from tomorrow. I want it on my desk by the end of this week.”

I froze. This cannot be happening. “I can’t do it.” I bowed my head down.

“What?”

“I said I cannot do it. I have some personal issues that I can’t reveal. Please, can I work on something else?”

“No. Take it or leave it. I have girls outside that would kill for this job. It was Elise who was bent on having someone ‘new’ to write this and she liked your style. Do it or don’t bother to show your face again.”

“Okay.” I said, grudgingly.

“And listen, screw this up and your career will end before even taking off. Don’t bail out later.” She said coldly and disconnected the line.

I walked out of the room in panic. Why did this have to come up when everything was going so right? I could refuse, and Amanda would not find trouble in filling my space in. But it was a word around the publishing industry that once you were fired by the Elise Sparks, the queen editor of Cosmo, there was nowhere you would be hired, not even ‘Money Biz’. I didn’t want to give up on writing. I wanted to have a real job and I had bills that needed to be paid.

I didn’t discuss it with Chris. There was nothing to discuss anyway. I would do the interview just like any other and start my career with Cosmo. I had no reason to be uncomfortable. It was Alex who needed to feel guilty. The next day I picked up my bag, wore a plain, white blouse and black skirt and took a cab to the Parker Office.

“Hi, I’m Katy from the Cosmopolitan. I have an appointment with Al……I mean Mr. Parker.”  I told the girl at the reception.

She made some calls and finally escorted me outside his office. I knocked.

“Come in.” He called out in an indifferent tone form inside. I heard his voice after what seemed like an eternity. I sighed as every memory flashed in front of my eyes and I stood like an idiot facing the door for a couple of minutes before I finally recollected myself and entered.

What will happen when Katy and Alex finally come face to face? Find out in the next update!

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }