Ghosts

Larrisa POV

—flashback—
After the dance at the Halloween party Amaimon had escorted me out of his brothers mansion, Mephisto and Shura disappeared halfway through when the party seemed to be at its peak, and as it finished Sir Pheles showed up in a new outfit all together just to dismiss the party and usher everyone out. We were all tired and full from filling up on junk food and the night was chilling my dress didn't come with a jacket or anything to cover my shoulders with. Amaimon slipped his top coat off and placed it around my shoulders and snaked his arm around me hugging me to his side.
"Thanks." I smiled and caught myself sniffing the jacket. How odd, is it an instinct woman have to smell things guys give them? It was a jacket for Pete's sake not a bouquet of flowers. But it smelled like, sulfur with a heavy scent of fertile dirt, and a hint of some kind of lavender shampoo?

When we got to the dorm he met me at my window unable to walk in through the hallway because it was a girls dorm. After changing from the dress and into comfortable pjs I opened the window and let him in.
"Thanks for walking me to my room but it's late now and we have class tomorrow you should get back right?" I asked as he sat on the bed and wouldn't take his eyes off of me.
"Brother wants me to stay out a while." He answered, "You're tired."
"I'm exhausted!" I groaned and plopped next to him. I felt his arms around me and being pulled closer to his warmth.
"How is your stay here at brother's school so far Lannie?"
"It's going okay. At first-"I stopped for a yawn, "at first I thought I was going to be like a sore thumb in the crowd."
"Does that mean you feel ugly?" He questioned.
"Uh, no.. well I don't picture myself the hottest girl compared to what I've seen here. I just mean I thought, I was going to feel alone in a crowd of thousands of people. That I would get that feeling of emptiness I feel every night while going to bed thinking where my dad went, who my mother was... I felt I no one to relate to and now being here, with all of the cram class and you. I don't feel so empty anymore." This wasn't like me, getting all deep with people let alone a demon, how safe can that really be? But I was so tired, I had little thoughts about my words as they came out from my mouth.
"I have emptiness inside me too." He said back in almost a whisper, his hand slowly rested on his chest, "I didn't realize it before until you came along. Brother once told me that to hide your heart you have to realize you have one; which usually is hidden after it goes through a great deal of pain. I don't think I've hid mine for too long, but I know I haven't felt it in a long while. I might have accidentally dug it up again and lost it."
"Hmm?" I mumbled I don't know exactly what he was talking about at this time I was half asleep, all I know was his voice was calm and soothing while his body kept me warm.
"I feel it when I'm with you Lannie. Like a bunch of buzzing coal tar and pulsing fungi. And when I'm away it feels like two tectonic plates ripping away from each other. It hurts and I feel an emptiness. What would you do if you felt that emptiness again?"
Unfortunately I had already dozed off and didn't quite hear his question only I know his words slowly soaked up into my dream. And in my dream I answered, "I think I'd go insane."

—end

"Larrisa!" A voice called from above me, and for a moment I was sucked into a distorted time of where I was small, hardly able to walk my small hands stretched out in front of me reaching up for the voice and mine answering back shakily, "Daddy?"

"Larrisa get up! Hurry!" He called again, the familiar voice of my father stayed as my vision tunneled back to present time and my hand reached out to the illuminated vision of my father. "D-daddy?!"
"It will be back, you have to hurry-" he pleaded trying to push me.
"Hey! Need some help?" Another voice cut him off another man appeared, not as tall as my father but fit, for his age looking to be older than my dad; which became more confusing to me, my father should look equally just as old as this man and yet he's as young as I remember him from long ago... this other man, I don't know where I've seen him before, but his face isn't new to my memory. His shaded glasses and the chain dawned with white crosses to match his white colored hair.
"Thank you Sir!" My father nodded quickly to him and then back to me, "Larrisa, follow close behind me understand?! Don't fall one step behind! Come on!" He began to lead me down another tunnel before I could grasp my bearings of where I was in the first place. Still underground was all I could gather by the cold dirt walls and feel of roots that jetted out from time to time.