Chapter Fifteen

"Listen, dear. I really didn't want you to find out this way. We wanted to-" my mom tried to explain.

"You wanted what? I bet what you were going to say was going to be a straight up lie. I bet you two were planning to keep this from me the rest of my life." Colton still stood awkwardly at the door before he came and sat down next to me which I didn't expect for him to do.

I know I'm overreacting. I know I'm making assumptions.

I have no excuse and if I were to have one, it would be that I don't like to be lied to but even that doesn't cover my reaction.

"Elliana, you have to understand here. We had no choice. We didn't want to disappoint your parents. They were good people, okay. It was either take you under our wing or send you off to another family, good or bad. At least be happy you had us." My adoptive mom argued.

"You know, your words just verified everything that I thought was true. You had no choice. In all reality, all that suggests is that whether you wanted me or not, you still had to take me in. You just said that you didn't want to disappoint my parents which also says that you just took me in because of my parents." Tears ran down my cheeks as I sniffled. " I'll speak to you when you get back." And with that, I ended the call.

I felt arms envelop me and pull me into their chest as I cried more and more.

"Shhh." Colton comforted me while I sat there and just let my emotions out.

Over time, my sobs died down. "I'm sorry I soaked your shirt." I said as I pulled away and saw the large, wet blotch on his shirt.

He chuckled. "I've got plenty more." I sniffled yet again.

"Why did you stay here with me?" I asked.

"I'm pretty sure you needed it." He spoke.

"I've lived my whole life just keeping to myself and going through everything by myself. Not once did someone ever stay with me." I said when I realized I owed him something. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Wow." I said unconsciously.

"What?"

"Well, last year, I never would have guessed that I'd be sitting in Colton Grey's house actually having a civilized conversation."

Until now, I always hated Colton Grey but now, I've actually seen the nice side of him and it's pretty okay.

"I've actually hated you until now."

"I never knew you existed until now, no offense." He said.

"None taken."

"Wait, you actually hated me?" I nodded. "Why?"

"Because you're a manwhore."

He scoffed. "I am not."

"You don't take offense to that?" He shook his head.

"Do you still hate me?" He asked hopefully.

I shook my head. "You're okay."

I guess his hopes came true because a smile took over his face.

Colton's POV

For some odd reason, my head told me that she was still a game, that I should still play my football ethics.

Yet, she wasn't playing.

She wasn't chasing me.

In fact, it seemed that she was on the sidelines watching me play my little game.