Chapter Eleven

"Why are we here?" I asked as we looked at the surprisingly uncrowded area of Newport beach. Normally, this place was packed with people.

"Because it's part of the adventure, of course." He said as he got out of the car and I doing the same after.

"Now what?" To say that I wanted nothing to do with this was an understatement.

"Now, it's time to go swimming."

"I have nothing to wear though." I said.

"I'm sure what you're wearing underneath will suffice." He smirked. Oh, this cocky bastard.

"No. I'm not going out there in..." I looked for the right words but I just sounded nervous instead. "My small clothing underneath."

"Calm it. There's nobody here. Why are you so nervous?" Because you're here.

"Because I can't." I had another reason, and it was aquaphobia - a fear of water.

I remember when I had almost drowned although it was such a long time ago. I was 7 and my brother was 11. We had decided to go swimming at the local pool and while I was still learning to swim, I got scared. I started to thrash and scream in the water, repeatedly coming up for air in my struggle, then going right back down just as quick. It was horrific and although I was 7, the fear stayed with me.

"Is it because you don't want to?" He asked. Even to this day, all I'll do at the beach is stand at the edge where the water will splash on my toes.

"No." I lied.

"Then come on." By this time, Colton was already in the water and what was he wearing you may ask? Boxers. He was wearing his boxers.

How was he so comfortable like this - Just undressing himself down to his boxers and going in the water in front of a girl?

Because he's cocky and he knows he's hot.

"No. I'll stand at the edge but I'm not going in." I said as I walked towards the area where the water was on the surface and now, touched my feet.

"Come on. Do I have to carry you in here?" I just stood there being stubborn as ever.

"What's the point of skipping school if all you're going to do is force me to swim?" I said voicing one thought that I had barely started asking myself.

"Because I'm trying to teach you to live. Skipping school was part one. It's not even that bad. It's just one day."

"And that one day will ruin my perfect attendance record." I complained.

"And you wonder why I call you Cupcake." He said.

"Because I'm the exact opposite?" I asked.

"No, because you actually care about perfect attendance." I huffed.

It was moments of us just thinking before he asked to make a deal with me, or more like confirmed it all himself. "Ok, I've got a deal for you." I rolled my eyes.

"What is it?"

"You spend the whole day with me, and I'll give you what you want."

"And what might that be?" I crossed my arms and sat down in the sand just letting the water glide over my legs.

"I'll leave you alone." I hesitated about this although I don't know why. It wasn't long before he spoke again. "Yeah. Okay. We got ourselves a deal. Now get in the water."

I still hesitated - not because of the deal that was done but because of the water.

"Okay. What's wrong? Why don't you want to come in the water?"