Chapter Forty-One

June Twenty-Second.

It has been a week since I woke up.

I felt relief from being released from the restraints of a hospital bed and having to wake up to the same white walls of the same hospital room.

Before that accident, I hadn't feared anything. I hadn't feared death.

And bright lights brought me to the realization that I am scared of death.

Because you have a reason to live.

Colton is my reason.

You have always had a reason.

I just thought I didn't.

There was a part of me that wanted to go back to feeling the worst and feeling like it's worthless but then I have the other part of me that's happy I escaped that state of mind.

You haven't fully escaped.

I want to reminisce on all of my memories - good and bad. I want to go back on all the things I have experienced.

If there's one thing I would relive time and time again, it would be Colton.

I would want to relive what I have gone through with Colton over and over.

He made you feel like a princess.

He made you feel special and precious.

He made you feel the best you have ever felt in your life.

And I want to feel that way again.

I sat in my room staring at the blank white ceiling.

A blank white ceiling like the one I stared at for the past week.

I lay in my bed wearing high-waisted shorts and Colton's UF sweater. Outside, raindrops pelted the window and everything open to the sky.

Time to go for a walk.

I didn't care for getting wet or getting sick despite just getting out of the hospital.

I pulled the hoodie over my head and walked out of the house, walking down the sidewalk.

I wanted to protect people.

I wanted to take the cancer away from Eleighna and make sure it never cane back and that she recovered. I wanted to help Brendan realize his mistakes and let him know that he wasn't the only guilty one because so was I. I wanted to go back a couple of weeks and call my parents telling them not to get on that plane had I known what would happen. I even wanted to go back to try and stop Carter's death and help him had I known Colton and Carter at the time.

It was weird how all these events combined had an effect on me just as much as Colton did.

He's done what nobody else would.

He saved you.

--

As I walked downstairs, it was just my luck to trip. This wasn't uncommon. I've tripped in my own house too many times to count, I've barely caught myself on the railings at school, and at my parents work, it's just safer to take the elevator- even if it broke down.

I would have hit the floor had it not been for the strong, muscular arms that I'm now being held in. When I looked up, I looked into the baby blue eyes of Colton.

--

"Preston Hayes? The only man whore bigger than you?" He nodded.

"You're lucky I got there on time. Kara and I barely managed to pull him off in time."