Chapter Thirty-Seven

I wasn't at all feeling even the slightest of a decently good emotion.

I felt like hell.

My hands didn't feel like they were on the cloth of the couch. They felt like they were in the hair of something.

It actually felt familiar.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw that my hand was in brown hair. A familiar head of brown hair, in fact.

"What are you doing?" I asked tiredly, getting up.

"Waiting for you to wake up." Colton yawned.

"For how long?"

"Would it be believable if I said almost four hours?" He asked, as I walked away.

"That's debatable." I said.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you this morning." He apologized.

"Why were you mad at me?" I didn't turn to face him. I continued walking upstairs. I knew where I wanted to be.

"I'm not." He spoke, as I made it to my balcony. "I just had a senseless reason. It really did not make any sense now that I think about it. It did yesterday and this morning but... not anymore."

"What was your stupid reason?" In less than a minute, we were both sitting on top of the roof.

"I honestly thought I was keeping you safe. But then Mason and Kara ended up changing my mind. I thought that if I ignored you or something, Brendan would leave me alone. Mason said that he's after you, not me. Kara said ignoring you would do nothing but hurt you more." He sighed, playing with my fingers. "And Cupcake, hurting you is the last thing I want to do or let something happen to you. It's not even something I want. It's the first thing I'd hate."

"You do realize I came up here to be alone, right?"

"And I want to talk to you."

I smiled, shaking my head but then my dad came back into my mind, and the smile faded. "Do you think that my adoptive dad really loved my mom?" I asked.

"It's possible. I wouldn't doubt it."

"My whole family is one big puzzle. For these past five years, I always felt like a helpless and worthless excuse."

"You are anything but that."

"What?" I asked.

"I really don't know how you can believe those things about yourself. Six months ago, I was a player and everybody knows that. Six months ago, I hadn't expected Elliana Hope Rinders to come walking through my door and inhabiting the room across from mine. I'm not kidding. I feel as if that room is your natural habitat." I giggled. "I also hadn't expected her to have really bad parents who ignored her a lot. Your mom is the one who I really don't like. I lightened up about your dad. And I didn't expect her shitty brother to be my boss who demanded I kill her. That had to have been the worst jobs I have ever gotten." He chuckled while still clasping my hand tightly. "I really don't know why she thinks of herself in a terrible way because I'm absolutely amazed by her. She reads like there's no tomorrow. I have no idea how many times I have heard the name Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. I'm sure I'll also hear those names numerous times in the future. She doesn't care for make-up all that much. She doesn't dress like Chloe which is a plus. She prefers Converse over high heels. I'm actually just naming these things at the top of my head." He chuckled again. "I would probably be dead right now had it not been for her. It could have been from alcohol, drugs, and possibly, Brendan. I just don't understand why you think such horrid things of yourself when you have made me happy for once in my life."