Chapter Twenty-One

I felt no remorse nor did I regret what I was about to do.

As I left the florists with a fresh set of flowers, I drove the small distance to the cemetery.

After five minutes, is when I finally came across the dusty gravestone.

Carter Justin Grey

March 14, 1994 - January 21, 2012

Beloved son, brother, and friend.

It was two years ago when Eleighna, Jace, and I agreed that his death would be covered up by the excuse that he was going to attend a college school in London. My family didn't want to go out and say how he passed away so instead, we lied about it. Nobody knew and nobody saw except for the few members of my family.

At one point, Carter used to be my role model like Brendan used to be for Elliana but it all ended the day he started beating me. He's the reason why I had joined football - to gain strength and muscle for whenever another attack came from him in one of his rage-consumed moods.

"Colton! Get me another bottle of Vodka, will you?" Carter yelled to me when I was nearing the age of seventeen.

If anything, the one person to boost these moods was Kaitlyn and Eleighna. As far as I could remember, she was my best friend. It was awkward learning my brother and best friend had some kind of relationship but it was complicated nonetheless.

It was awkward seeing them in the living room together being the lovebirds that they were, hearing those... noises, and lastly, hearing them tell each other the three horrible words 'I love you'. I promised myself I would never fall in love two years ago.

I was nearly done with sophomore year and it wasn't the year I had been hoping for. I was hoping for it to be better than freshman year. That's when I had finally joined the football team.

I went to the back and got a bottle of vodka before walking back to him to hand him the alcohol.

When he put his mouth to the bottle to get the first gulp of it, his face turned to one of rage. "What the hell is this?! Not this fucking kind!" He yelled getting up to hit me.

In the process of this, the bottle of the vodka crashed onto the floor, making the liquid spread on the wooden floor.

My parents didn't ever know since their job took up their time as they were trying their best to provide for us.

"Always making mistakes! Guess it's a specialty. It's exactly what you are!" He yelled kicking me down.

That was when I became convinced that I was and always will be a mistake. It continued for another 5 to 10 minutes until I was on the floor, with my chest heaving up and down trying to get oxygen into my lungs.

Carter had always had anger issues and with his anger now, it was just intensified. It was intensified because he thought I had feelings for Kaitlyn; I used to. I loved Kaitlyn but as if she was another version of Eleighna. Kaitlyn was like my little sister now. I realized some time ago that I didn't actually like her anymore in that way.

Moments later, Eleighna entered the house and gasped as she saw me with a bloody nose, bruised arms and any body part that was visible that had scattered bruises, and any other part that looked like it had been through hell and back.

"Colton! Was it Carter again?" She asked kneeling down trying to help me up although she was having trouble from the muscle weight I had gained from football.

She got me to at least sit down on the couch then rushed to the linen closet to get a washcloth.

She came back to pat my petty injuries. "I don't understand why he does this. It's pathetic of him."