Chapter Thirty-Nine

I could feel myself breathing, my chest heaving up and down but I couldn't see anything. I could only see pure darkness while my ears heard the steady beat of loud beeps.

I knew I was in the hospital. How else could I explain the uncomfortable position of my body that I can feel? How else could I explain those steady beeps?

Right now, my first priority was to try and open my eyes.

Slowly but surely, I did it.

It was dark.

No lights were on and no sound but the monitor were audible.

As I tried to move my hands, they felt stiff.

It felt as if I hadn't used them in awhile.

You were in a car accident.

Brendan?

Where's he at?

I didn't care that he tried to have me killed. I wasn't scared of death.

I wanted to know if Brendan was safe. I cared for Brendan even though I shouldn't even be close to still liking my brother.

I don't know how long it was before I could finally control all of my limbs.

As I slowly sat up, careful not to disrupt anything, I immediately noticed that my phone was nowhere near me.

My throat felt dry. There was no water near me so the one thing I could do the quickest was based on human nature.

It seems disgusting but I'm only using my resources for right now.

Saliva.

The only option I had left was to press the button that called the nurse.

One

Two

Three

In a matter of seconds, a young woman came into the room wearing light blue Scrubs.

"Oh, you're awake." She said.

I nodded nervously.

What I was nervous about? I don't know.

"I'm going to check some vitals then I'll get your doctor."

"Okay." I slowly spoke. "Where is my family?" Colton. "What time is it?"

"Your boyfriend just left. It's around 10:00." I nodded.

Boyfriend?

Colton.

Soon enough, she was done checking my vitals and said," By the way, just call me Jackie."

I nodded. "Okay." But before she left, I asked,"Can I use the bathroom?"

She smiled and nodded. "Just let me get another nurse to help real quick." I nodded.

Nodding seemed to be a common thing for me to do in these past few minutes.

I wanted to cry.

I wanted to know how I got into this situation.

Last I remember is being in Colton's truck with him after getting chinese food. I was perfectly fin just seeing his bright smile and shining, bright blue eyes flicker to me then back to the road. I was happy.

Then I wake up in a car with Brendan. I was uncomfortable. I wasn't quite scared as much as I was wary. Brendan's intense look in his eye as he drove as he would occasionally bring the beer bottle up to his mouth, gulping down the contents.