9

Elena

On Friday morning, I woke up hating the world slightly less than usual.  Maybe it was because Mom ended up spending the night at work, or cause I got to eat my favorite cereal for dinner.  I don’t know.  I just thought that today, I would do my best to ignore everything that anyone says.  I decided to dress in a black midi skirt, white crop top, and a red and black kimono with roses on it.  It was one of the outfits I bought during my last shopping trip with Dad, and I wanted to remember him today.  I hoped he was doing good.  I slipped on my usual black Converse and fishtail braided my hair.  I felt kind of confident today.  I don’t know why.  I ate a quick granola bar, when I usually skip breakfast, and then headed out the door.

Once I reached school, I slowly and awkwardly walked up the front steps to sit on the ledge by the door.  This way I could watch people without them seeing me.  I slipped on my sunglasses, and all was fine until Janie decided to show up.

“You really think that outfit looks good?” she asked condescendingly.

I rolled my eyes, but then remembered she couldn’t see them.  Instead, I said nothing.  I knew doing this would only make her angrier though.

“Bitch, I’m talking to you, you gonna answer?  Or are you just going to sit there and pretend, like you do everything else?” Janie spat.

This might have been confusing to others, but I knew exactly what Janie was referring to.  I had tried my best to forget it.  With all the other shit going on in my life, I didn’t need a reminder.  But I had to try and tell her again.

I stood up and faced her, my sunglasses off and in my bag now.  She looked at me with her piercing blue eyes and thin, frowning lips.  She emulated hatred.

“I wasn’t pretending anything, I told you that,” I said.  By now, other people, including Calum, had arrived, and they were all watching, waiting intently to see if anything would happen.

“And I’ll never believe you, I told you that,” she responded, crossing her arms and glaring at me.

“Janie-” Calum started.

“Stop it Calum!  You don’t know about this, so just shut up,” she snapped, not looking at him.  Calum retreated, looking hurt and confused.  There was a few more seconds of silence, until the bell rang.  I never thought that I would be happy to hear the sound of the school bell.

Janie walked closer to me, until she was just a few inches away from my face.  She continued to glare at me.

“Lie all you want.  Either way, you’ll still be a pathetic freak, bitch,” she spat, and walked away, her posse following her.  Calum looked at me, and I glanced at him before hurrying into the building.

I quickly went to English and kept my head down on my desk, hoping Calum would take the hint.  This day was already ruined.  I felt the familiar pre nine-in-the-morning drowsiness take over, and just as I closed my eyes, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  I considered ignoring it and continuing to wander off into the world of unconsciousness, but I sat up and looked at Calum.