13

Elena

All day at school, I had this dreadful feeling in my stomach that wouldn’t go away.  Open house was coming closer, and there wasn’t anything I could do to stop it.  I wish I just had a normal mother.  I wish I had my mother back, instead of whatever she became.  It may seem stupid to be so scared of something as simple as open house.  But my mother can turn any seemingly normal event into a tragic meltdown full of tears, screams, and frightened innocent bystanders.  I especially didn’t want her to try and make out with any of my teachers-it was awkward beyond repair last time.

I was told to wait outside for her right after school.  Although it doesn’t start until four, her job is about a half hour away, and she always gets off later than she says she will.  I sat on one of the many benches by the bike racks, all alone.  I watched the other kids go home, talking animatedly about how they successfully ditched tonight’s event.  The sun that still wouldn’t go away beat down on me, making me feel uncomfortable.  And this bench hurt.  What idiots make a metal bench and place it right under the sun?

“Elena, hey,” someone said suddenly.

I had started dozing off, but I jumped awake, startled.  I squished my eyes together, trying to block out the harsh light and see who it was, although I pretty much already knew by their voice.

“I thought you had soccer practice,” I said to Calum.

His eyes squinting at the sun as well, he said “I get to skip so Mom can come to open house”.

“Oh”.

I felt stupid.  Can’t I ever say anything besides “oh”?  And the fact that Calum was voluntarily sitting by me when there clearly were still people around surprised me.  I looked around.

“None of your friends around?” I asked.

“No”.

That explains it.

There was more awkward silence.  For the entire time, in fact, we just ignored each other, pretending the other one didn’t exist.  I put my earbuds in, deciding to listen to something other than the annoying birds and Calum’s awkward coughs.  And then she pulled up in her car, parked crookedly, and got out, stumbling slightly.  As soon as she came close enough, I could tell she was drunk.  Did she really have to do that just to come here?  I took out my earbuds and prayed Calum wasn’t paying attention.  A quick glance said that he was.  Mom stood in front of me, folding her arms and tapping her foot.

“Could you be any slower?  Come on!” she yelled.

I hurriedly shoved my stuff in my bag and walked with her.

“Who’s your friend?” she asked.

“He’s not my friend,” I said as she rushed me inside, practically pushing me.

“You better not be screwing around with him, you hear me?  I didn’t raise no whore,” she said loudly, grabbing the attention of people around us.  I kept my head down and walked as quickly as I could to the table where you get your progress report.