The tormentor

Ana nodded and looked at Christian with determination in her eyes." Give me fifteen... twenty minutes tops, and then we'll get to work immediately."

After Ana had taken a quick shower and was dressed, she made coffee for the both of them. She was pouring the hot liquid into two mugs, when Christian appeared, moving himself from the living room into the kitchen.

"I thought we could have breakfast first." Ana commented, as she sat in one of the chairs." I made sandwiches; there's one with cheese and another with scrambled egg."

Christian didn't say anything back. He was staring at her again, brows furrowed and grey eyes boring into hers. As she waited for him to grab his mug and sandwich, Ana sat silently and drank her coffee, while avoiding his gaze.

She knew he had agreed on starting with physical therapy, and thought that he'd be a bit more talkative. Boy, was she wrong...

At a certain point Christian moved closer to the kitchen table and grabbed his mug. However, he kept staring at her, making Ana so uncomfortable.

Oh, how much she wished that he'd just tell her what he was thinking right now. But she knew he'd never tell her, even if she would ask him. So, Ana decided to change the subject. She had been contemplating about this the evening before, listing the pro and cons for both locations. However, Ana knew Christian ultimately was the one who gets to decide where he wants to work on his legs.

They were his legs after all. It was his body and only he had a say in it. Not even her.

"Christian... uhmm, I was wondering..." she started, as her eyes darted towards him." Do you want to do this here? Or... would you be more comfortable doing therapy at home... in my family's private practice?"

As those words reached his ears, Christian placed his leftover sandwich and the mug on the table, after drinking his coffee." Here." He simply said, and swiftly moved out of the kitchen with his wheelchair.

Ana let out a deep breath and got up from her seat." Well, this time he said exactly one word to me." She muttered, while grabbing their mugs and placing them in the sink.

She then walked into the living room and as Christian watched Ana, she began moving the couch and the other furniture.

"I'm making room for us so we can work in here." Ana commented without expecting a reply.

"Ana." She heard him say, almost making her stumble over her own feet. Ana did not expect him to say her name— especially not in that manner...

Which manner? Well, in the manner that made Ana feel as if the room had caught fire. Heat instantly spread to her cheeks, as she remembered how many times he had said her name that way. (When they were still a couple years ago)

Christian said it with such intensity, like he still cared about her. It sounded pleading and gentle and all things beautiful.

'He probably forgot for one split second that he hates me.' Were the words that bounced inside her skull, as Ana's eyes finally locked with his.

"Yes, Christian?" she managed to say, her voice a bit shaky.

"I want you to promise me something." He said, as he moved towards the couch." Can you take a seat? Please?"

Ana nodded, not knowing what to expect and sat on the couch, while a lump was gradually forming in her throat." Of course." She commented." What is it, Christian?"

He moved so they were locking eyes on one another. As a sigh escaped his lips, Christian said." You know exactly what to do to get me back on my feet, right?"