Consumed by agony

While holding Christian's sister in her arms though, Ana thought about what had happened to Carrick, making her skin crawl. "I'm here for you, sweetie... I am here for you..." she whispered.

At that very moment, Ana felt so powerless. And with it, she felt such a numbness like never before...

~ Approximately an hour later ~

Ana was looking out the window, and felt the sun warming up both her cheeks. As a sigh escaped her lips, she walked over to the coffee table and grabbed her phone.

"Where are they?" Ana muttered under her breath, and checked her phone once more.

At that moment she felt exhaustion take over her whole body, because she hadn't slept for at least 14 hours now. However, her mind─ oh her mind, refused to rest until she received confirmation from the FBI that her mom and father were safe.

"Miss Steele... you in there?" She heard a male voice say from the other side of the bedroom door." May I come in? I've got news about your parents..."

As those words reached her ears, Ana sprung to life and reached the door in a flash." Are they safe? Where are they? Can I see them?" She asked Special Agent Sawyer, after opening the door.

"One question at a time, Miss Steele." He remarked, then nodded." Yes, they are safe... for now they both are in one of our safe houses, and you can see them, when the time is right"

Ana's eyes automatically filled with tears, when she heard the good news." Than... thank you, Special agent Sawyer... you don't know how..." She began, but was unable to continue.

At the moment all kinds of emotions washed over her. Relief, because both her parents were alive and safe, but also guilt and sadness because Christian's father was still in critical condition. The surgeons who had operated on him had done all they could, but only time will tell if he'll make it... or not.

It had been very difficult for Ana, consoling Mia earlier, because the guilt was continuously consuming her from the inside out. However, it was more important to her to be there for Christian's sister. So, instead of locking herself up in the bedroom, letting fear and guilt get in the way, Ana took a risk and had knocked on Mia's door.

"Yes, I do understand, Miss Steele..." Sawyer pointed out." We're going to make sure that what happened to Carrick Grey, won't happen again... We will keep all of you safe, I give you my word..."

At hearing that, Ana carefully placed a hand on his upper arm." Thank you... and Special agent Sawyer, I'm so sorry..." she began, and paused for a few moments, swallowing her tears." I'm so very sorry about both your colleagues..."

Sawyer cleared his throat, and took a deep breath." Thank you, Miss Steele" he replied.

Ana observed the man who stood in front of her and saw the pain in his eyes.

He was hurting obviously, but he attempted to stay professional and added." Special agents Torres and Powell were killed in the line of duty... they died, because they wanted to save Carrick Grey's life... they're heroes"

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Special agent." Ana said with a small voice.

He exhaled and nodded." I honestly hope that Carrick Grey makes it, Miss Steele." Sawyer confessed." Cause if he does survive 'El Diablo's' attack... then uhmm... then my colleagues didn't die for nothing..."

His words made such an impact on Ana, the agony in Sawyer's voice so evident and clear. That made her feel numb all over again.

And even though she knew damn well the answers to her next questions would tear at her heart and soul, Ana asked." Who did Torres and Powell leave behind, Special agent? Were they married? Did they have kids?"