Terrified to death

'Oh, man! I'm so screwed right now!' Were the words that bounced inside Ana's skull at that moment, while José smiled at her from ear to ear.

"I'd like that, Doc. I really would like to mind my own business," José pointed out." However, it's so fun to put my nose in your business."

Ana groaned at that, and clenched her hands into fists." You do remember that I'm your boss, right?" she pointed out.

José looked her straight in the eyes, attempting to have a serious expression on his face." Yes, boss. Of course I know that. So, because I'm your assistant, I cannot tease you?" he asked innocently." Does that also mean I can't grill you about your ex?"

Ana huffed at that." That's exactly what that means, José." She replied icily.

José really did his best, but without success. The minute he noticed the flush on Ana's cheeks and how she nervously ran a hand over her hair, he failed at being serious and began to chuckle nonstop.

"José!" Ana scolded him, and threw daggers with her eyes at him.

But it was no use... he couldn't help laughing, even pointing at Ana." I'm so sorry, Doc. I really am." He apologized." But you're so busted!"

Ana rolled her eyes at him, and spat." You can laugh all you want, but I'm going to get lunch ready now!" she announced and strode towards the kitchen.

Ana was busy with lunch, when she heard a knock on the kitchen door.

"José, stay out. I'm not in the mood for your teasing right now." She pointed out, and rolled her eyes.

At that, she heard a knock once more. "Stop it now, José!" Ana scolded, and went back to doing her task in the kitchen.

After the third knock, Ana groaned aloud and stormed towards the door. With a force, she swung it open." I have no time for your silly jokes, José! We're not in high school anym..." she said, the tone of her voice two pitches higher than usual, but then she stopped mid-sentence.

Christian was staring up at Ana, an eye brow raised, while looking at her questioningly.

"Christian! Oh, it's you." She said, and slapped herself mentally." I thought you were my assistant." Ana pointed out, wishing that the ground would swallow her whole at the moment.

Christian stared her down, but didn't react to her outburst. Instead he asked." Can you please move, so I can go into the kitchen?"

Ana nodded." Well, of course." She replied, and took a few steps away from the door.

Christian moved towards the counter, and stopped next to it." What's for lunch?" he simply said.

"Well, I was thinking of making us some sandwiches," Ana replied.

"But?" Christian asked.

She looked at him, while the corners of her lips curled upwards," How did you know a but would follow." Ana asked with a twinkle in her eyes.

Christian stared up at her again. However this time his gaze wasn't piercing, and he was not glaring nor was he throwing daggers at her with those beautiful eyes of his...

No, this time Christian's eyes were playful.

Heat instantly spread to Ana's cheeks; it was like time had stood still years ago and it was just the two of them in the world—everything around them fading away...

At that very moment, Ana felt as if the kitchen had caught fire, her heart pounding against her chest, while she tried her very best not to leave her brain behind.