Chapter 47

After weeks of preparation, the day of the performance in Marioner Park finally came. I watched backstage as the boys performed 'U' by Super Junior; their sharp movements and angelic voices were more than enough to send the crowd screaming in admiration. From a certain angle of view, the boys looked like a group of K-POP idols performing for their fans. They sure had the talent to be in a successful group. I felt sorry for Vernon, since he still had to perform with the others despite his recovering injury, but he still danced flawlessly.

When it was Junhui's part as Heechul, my mouth formed an 'O' shape, as I was impressed with the similar vibes Jun and Heechul gave off. Jun's smirk danced teasingly on his stare, sending the crowd in tears and screams.

"Rude," I scoffed.

I sang along to the rest of the song up until it was Seungcheol's role as the lead rapper. I cheered for him, though he couldn't hear me, and stared at him in admiration. Seungcheol and I were on better terms after we apologized to each other. Ash called me back to the room she and the other girls were in for last minute practices. During the practices, I felt my body stiffen from anxiety; it rusted my joints and weakened my legs.

"Tori, are you okay?" Jennie acquainted.

"You're shaking." Winter put her hand on my shoulder and rubbed it.

"I think I'm gonna have an asthma attack," I stated, resting my hand on my chest to feel my fast-paced heart beat.

"You are not," stated Ash, putting her hands on my shoulders. "You're a strong girl, who buried her injuries deep down. You can do this."

Jennie told us to get dressed in our appointed attire as soon as the clock displayed thirty minutes to our performance. I looked into the mirror of the bathroom then back at my scarred arms in disgust, attempting to conceal my skin graft by tugging at my sleeves. I searched the small bag again for any jackets or any long-sleeved form of coverage. I sighed and turned my head to Jennie who had just left her bathroom stall.

"Jen, can I use a sweater or a jacket, please?"

"Why, what's wrong?"

"Well, a skin graft isn't the most appealing to look at. I don't want people to see it..."

"You're fine, Tori. Beautiful even."

"The scar is horrible, Jen. Why do you think I always use long-sleeves?"

"No one will notice it, they'll be too busy focusing on your talent." Ash called out as Jennie nodded.

"But if it really means that much to you, I've got a jacket, that matches with the outfit, you can borrow." Jen pointed to her backpack.

I smiled in gratefulness and proceeded to coat myself with her jacket, relieved of the fear of humiliation from the scar carved by trauma.

After most of the boys finished their unit performances, Jun, Hoshi, Minghao, and Chan neared the end of their dance originally performed by Michael Jackson. The four boys wished us luck on our performance; Jun and I high fived and gave me a short encouraging talk, Chan hugged Ash in a mother and son type of way, Hoshi gave Jennie brief tips, and Minghao attempted to ruffle Winter's hair as she shoved him away in a playful manner. All of the thirteen boys' performances were a success. No, more than a success, they were spectacular - from their singing to their every movements.

"Sadly, that was the end of Seventeen's performance. But don't look so down, give it up for the next performers who will dance to 'As if it's Your Last' by Blackpink!" the MC announced, followed by yet another round of cheers of enthusiasm.

Winter and I squeezed each others' hand as the dim lights illuminated to life, revealing a more daunting view. Jennie began smoothly, while the three of us followed suit, backing up her singing with dance. By the time of the chorus, my nervousness had released me from from its captive and left a glistening glow of confidence and enjoyment.