Chapter 53

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Caleb ensured. "I can do it myself."

I peered at the Goliath building slumped over in near destitution. It was still the same building, that used to boast it's proud facade. The same building that nearly burned me down with it.

"Yeah... Don't worry about it." I reassured, unsurely.

Caleb sighed, "Fine, but if you want to take a bus back home, just tell me."

I nodded and exhaled to release my budding anxiety. It was terrifying feeling, facing my trauma, but I had to smooth the ridges that made it difficult for me to cross the boundaries. I gestured for my brother to lead the way, as I trailed his steps behind him. Sauntering through the entrance, we made our way to the administration desk to hand over Caleb's letter from our parents.

"Good morning, Choi Caleb and Tori," an admin addressed politely.

"Good morning, Ms. Jiwon," Caleb and I greeted back. "This is the letter from my parents."

"Ah, yes. Thank you." She received the envelope from Caleb's hand. "Here is the receipt of the refund transfer. I'm sorry you won't be continuing your academic year here. The principal was disappointed to hear that from your parents."

Caleb chuckled, trying not to sound humorless. "Eh, it'll be alright. I will miss this school."

"Why, may I ask, did you make the decision to move so suddenly?"

I glanced at Caleb from the corner of my eye, looking to see if he needed backing up. He, however, remained casual throughout the conversation.

Caleb shrugged. "I don't really know, actually."

"Well, that's still too bad," Ms. Jiwon mentioned. "Winter is also moving right, Tori?"

"Yes, she is," I responded. It was still hard for me to swallow the fact that Winter decided to leave. I respected her decision, but I found it difficult to get used to the lonely silence that resonated after calling out her name habitually.

"I'm sorry to hear about that. You two were inseparable."

I nodded slowly and sewed on a thin smile. Caleb looked at me and copied my smile. "Alright, let's go?"

Letting in a gust of warm air, a classmate of mine entered swiftly through the front door.

"Tori! I knew it was you!" Chaeyoung exclaimed, going for a hug which I reciprocated.

"Rosie! What brings you here?" I inquired.

"I volunteered to help with cleaning up the school! We've progressed a lot since we started, of course with the help of the professionals," she explained. "Hey, Seungcheol's here too. I heard both of you are a thing now!"

"Yes, we are. And really? I'll go say 'Hi' to him before I leave." Earlier, Seungcheol had informed me that he was going to visit his sister. I made the excuse to myself that his plan didn't work out.

Chaeyoung embraced me again, accented with a comforting and gentle air. "I'm really glad you're okay. It was very fortunate that Jun saved you."

Jun? No, she must've gotten it mixed up

"Wait what? You mean Seungcheol saved me."

"Huh? Where did you hear that? Silly, didn't Jun tell you? I saw him carrying you from the end of the hall towards the other firemen. I was rescued by one of them."

A spark flickered in the theater that replayed my memories - old and new, good and bad, lost and found.

"Jun..." I breathed, weakly.