Prologue

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you? 
Why are you beset with gloom? 
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.  ~Maya Angelou

"Gardina Verena Holton, your free to go." A prison guard roughly said opening the creeky cell door.

Gardina stepped out holding up her wrist for the prison guard could unhook her chains and handcuff's. Once they were released she rubbed her sore wrist in relief the feeling of freedom washing over her.

"Hope I don't see you back in here again." The female prison guard gruffly said in between chews of her gum.

"Same." Gardina replied beginning to walk to the door that lead to her freedom.

And once she stepped through those doors and was met with the fresh smell of air and sunshine she couldn't help but smile only for her smile to falter once she saw who had come to pick her up.

"Gardina nice to see you again." He said standing up against his fancy black Escalade that just screamed money.

"Why are you here, I thought my daughter was coming to get me?" She frowned.

The man returned her frown with a sad smile while beginning to walk up to her slowly. "She asked me too, how are you doing sweetie?" He asked sounding genuinely concerned.

"Well, I've just gotten out of prison after 6 years, and haven't smoked a blunt since, so a bit agitated but very happy to be out of this hell hole." She dryly answered not happy with the fact that her own flesh and blood had totally ditched her. She knew she hadn't been the best mom but it really hurt that her own daughter who she hadn't seen in years didn't even want to see her after being released.

He nodded taking in everything she said and she saw that he was also checking in her appearance, when his eyes traveled down to her arms that were scarred from many needles that she had shot up over the years she quickly grew annoyed.

"Marshall why are you here?" She suddenly snapped.

"To pick you-"

"No, the real reason." She spat.

He sighed as he rested his hands in his pockets. "I wanna help you get sober." He finally answered.

A huge chuckle escaped her lips as she had to wipe some tears out of her face from laughing so hard.

"What makes you, Mr. Take Vicodin and Methadone and Sleeping pills all in a day make you think your capable of helping me get sober?" She argued watching Marshall shake his head.

"I've been sober for 10 years now Gardina, it's possible." He announced watching the woman's face display a bit of surprise until it went back to her normal annoyed at the world face.

"Seriously, where were you when I was being arrested and needed a bail? Or how about when my home got foreclosed on and I had to move in with my mama? Look, I don't need your help, so take me home please." Gardina said walking past Marshall to get into the passenger seat of the car.

"Okay but just consider it alright?" He said hopping in the driver seat.

She said nothing as they began to drive back to Detroit, and back to her life that she knew wouldn't be any different from the last time.

She was a drug addict, and her brother was dead.

Nothing was going to change that.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Surprise! New Book. So I am going to begin really hopping into this book after Life According to 7-eleven girl is over and I also want to go back to The Geek and Ms. Emotionless even though it has literally been like a year since I updated it, I feel so bad to just leave it so I'll probably jump back in that book as well, Anyway I hope you guy's enjoyed this prologue, and as always leave your comments below, I love hearing from y'all. And yeah, see you all soon.