Taken

My eyes shot open as I woke and quickly realized that I was in the hospital with some an IV connected to my arm. I plucked it out and sat up looking around the room trying to remember how I ended up in the hospital in the first place.

Until it all came back.

"Oh my God..Claira!" I yelled loud enough that a nurse and doctor came rushing in trying to get me to relax.

"Ms. Holton you need to calm down, you were really out of it, but it seems like you sobered up." The doctor informed.

"Okay well what happened to my baby, is my daughter alright?" I asked through manic breaths as I braced myself for whatever news they were about to give me.

I hoped and prayed that it was good, because I honestly didn't know how I could handle or even live with myself if I was the reason my baby died.

"Ms. Holton, your daughter had a severe allergic reaction causing her throat to close up almost entirely, we managed to get her medication immediately that suppressed her throat swelling to the point she died of asphyxiation but her lack of oxygen did cause her to black out to the point where she is in a coma." The doctor explained as my heart rate beat to levels I didn't even know it could reach, "What we're most afraid of now is brain damage from her oxygen being suppressed for a while, we're going to keep her monitored and let you know as soon as she wakes up." The doctor said his words were comforting, but when I looked into his eyes I saw the judgement, the judgement that I was a drug addicted failure of a mom who put her daughter into a coma because she couldn't take being sober for more than 6 hours.

"But she will wake up right?" I choked feeling tears run down my cheeks.

The doctor didn't say anything for a while until he picked up a chart that was on the bottom of my bed and said, "Like I said, we'll let you know, until the mean time you have a couple of visitors, one I think you might want to see, the other..not so much." He explained.

"I want to see the person I might want to see first." I sighed already having a pretty good feeling who the person I didn't want to see was.

"Alright, we'll send them in." The doctor said leaving the room only for the door to open a few seconds later as they stepped in quietly.

"Nice to see your still living, Gardina." He said his arms crossed as he stood up against the door.

"Marshall, what are you doing here?" I asked fairly surprised to see him, how did he even know I was in here?

"Well, got a call from the hospital saying that a Claira Holton has been admitted into the hospital and that I needed to come down immediately." He answered his tone low and upset.

"Why would they call you?" I questioned.

"Because I guess i'm her emergency contact." He shrugged.

I couldn't help but feel my own heart sink at the fact that my own daughter didn't have me as an emergency contact, instead she had Marshall a man who wasn't even a legit family member.

"Your not even family." I scoffed.

"Deshaun thought so, and plus that's actually not true, i'm Proof's kid's God Father." He answered coldly.

Well, that's news to me.

"That still doesn't give you the right to talk with my daughter and act like your her step dad or something." I argued watching his face shift into a deep set frown as his eyebrows furrowed to match.

"I'm the closest thing she's got, considering your dumb ass doesn't even remember who her daddy is, cause they were to high and couldn't keep their legs crossed." He spat.