Prom Night & Pep Talks

Marshall's P.O.V

I sat on the left side of her bed saying every prayer I ever heard in hopes that she would wake up and be that crazy annoying hard headed woman we all secretly adored. But doctors were saying she was going to be out of it for quite a while since she had 2 more seizures after they restarted her heart and got it back into a normal rhythm.

"Gardina, you got this right? I mean a little Alcohol withdrawal can't stop you, remember that time at Prom when you were throwing up and feeling miserable about yourself but you still over came it and won Prom Queen?" I laughed.

-Flash Back-

-29 years ago-

Marshall's P.O.V

I was walking down the street getting ready to pass Proof's house to get to my own, it had been a long day since I had spent most of the day Rap battling people in different schools. I just hope and prayed that the school didn't send no voice mail to my mom notifying her of my absence. I buried my hands hands into my coat pockets to keep them a bit warm since the temperature was starting to really fall this time year. I was just about to pass Proof's when I heard Proof's front door fly open accompanied with some angry shouting. And a very animated Gardina basically running out the house from her angry shouting mama.

"Why are you so stubborn, JUST GO TO THE STUPID DANCE!" Gardina's mom yelled.

"YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND, I CAN'T SHOW UP THERE LIKE THIS!" She shrieked gesturing to her over all appearance.

"Then don't go, it's your life!" Gardina's mom yelled slamming the door behind her.

I stood at the sidewalk watching as Gardina came closer towards me mumbling something, only to halt once she saw me.

"What are you staring at!?" She snapped.

"You fighting with your mom again?" I asked not really caring to be honest, but I figured I might as well say something to avoid looking like a creep watching their house.

"Is it any of your business?" She haughtily replied walking past me down the street.

I decided to follow her figuring going home could wait, especially if that stupid prick of a principal sent that voicemail home. I really didn't need another drunken tongue lashing from her tonight.

"It's pretty late ya know, I don't think you should be walking wonderlessly through these streets, especially in your condition." I advised watching as she spun around on her heels to face me.

"Again, is that really any of your concern?" She touted.

"What were y'all arguing about anyway?" I asked preparing myself for my head to be bitten off, but much to my surprise she sighed.

"I'm only telling you this cause i'm bored, and your very annoying." She defended before she began going into details on what happened.

"My mom wants me to go too Prom, and I don't want too because i'm pregnant and fat and dateless." She bluntly said.

"But...your not even showing yet." I pointed out.

"Uhg please, all you men are frickin stupid, I've gained a good 10 pounds! EVERYONE's going to notice that." She insisted while brushing some of her wildly curly hair away.

"I think your over reacting." I sighed.

"Oh sure, this comes from the little white boy who wants to be a rapper in the heart of Detroit, look I know exactly what i'm talking about, and i'm NOT going to prom." She huffed.