Chapter 38

I stared at the boy sitting on the chair where Joe was earlier. His once clean jaw was now covered in a prickles of beard. My heart was pounding a little too fast in my chest, I was sure he could hear it. And plus, the smirk that he held didn't make the situation any less intimidating.

"What do you want, Mike?" I asked him through gritted teeth, trying to keep my composure despite the fact that I could probably die right there, right then.

"Why thank you. I missed you too, Chrissy." He replied sarcastically. His hand was about to reach mine that was still on the table but I soon pulled my hands down, not wanting him to touch me. Not again.

"It'd be best for you to leave." I said, trying my best to sound threatening although I failed since my voice cracked.

"And why is that? Oh, I know." He said faking an enthusiastic expression. "It's because you're here with your new boy toy, isn't it?" His smirked widened at the word boy toy.

What did he even mean?

"Mike, please. I'll deal with you later. I promise I will. Just not now, please." I almost begged on my knees. I couldn't let Joe see Mike.

"Fine." He leaned back on his chair and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. At least until he continued, "Tonight. Meet me tonight at the restaurant I brought you on our first date. I wish you still remember. I'll meet you there at 10." He leaned forward to kiss my lips but I turned around and cringed as his chapped lips touched my cheek. "Alright." He chuckled dryly and stood up. "See you then." With that, he left. But my beating heart didn't leave with him. If I didn't put any makeup I could bet I was pale by then.

Tonight. He wanted me to meet him tonight. Can you believe the way his brain works if he even has one? I could only hope Joe would be asleep by then. I need to make sure the Suggs go to sleep early.

"Chrissy?" Joe clicked his fingers in front of my face making me blinked myself out of my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Are you ready to go?" He asked, a tinge of worry in his voice. I didn't answer him and just grabbed all my belongings, then left the café with him following me close behind.

I got into Joe's car, trying my best to act normal and smiled after Joe kissed my cheek once he got in.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Of course he knew. I shook my head no but I swear I almost cried when I heard him sighed as if he was disappointed at my reply. At me.

But I needed to take care of him and everyone else who I love. For all I knew, Mike could do anything no one didn't even think of doing.

"Is it something that I do?" I turned to see Joe but his eyes were focusing on the road in front of him, his knuckles turning pale as he clenched the poor steering wheel tightly. "Because if it is, I really am sorry."

I grabbed his hand and squeezed it lightly, making him relaxed a little bit.

"I'm fine, Joe. It's nothing that you did or anyone else if that matter. I guess I just miss my mom." That wasn't entirely a lie. Well, technically, I think about her everyday but yeah, I didn't know what else to say. Even when she wasn't there, she still helped me out of my problem.

Though I kind of wish she were still here with me. She'd know what to do and say to make me feel safe, better.

"I love you, Chrissy." He took a glance at me before turning back to the road.

"I know."

"No, you don't." His reply came faster than I thought it would. "I really do love you. And when I asked you to be my girlfriend, I promised myself that I'll be there for you. I'll protect you through anything. I want to make you happy and I don't want to fail on that." We finally reached a red light and he stopped the car.