Chapter 39

I had never thought I'd agree to meet up with a guy who cheated on me - not only once or twice but four times with four different hookers - and almost raped me inside of a phone booth.

He walked closer to me and put his long arm around my waist, guiding me into the front door. I tried to move out from his arm but he only grasped my waist tighter as we walked in.

"Table for two, please?" He asked one of the waitress in a skimpy dress that showed more cleavage than what she actually had. He also didn't forget to wink at her like somehow I knew he would.

Giggling, the waitress led us to a table and handed us our menus.

"I'll have a diet coke for drink." Mike told the waitress who was now standing way too close to him, her butt almost touched his face.

Well, no. But you get the point.

"I'll just have water." I said to her. I doubted that she noted my words but she left anyway.

Mike turned to me and smiled mischievously. "It's been so long." He said. I mumbled a quick yeah as if I'd die if I say another word. Well, who knows?

The whole dinner filled with Mike enjoying his food - I didn't get any, obviously - and the waitress trying to flirt with him. Mike's good looking. I'll give him that. But that'll change once you know the real him. That poor girl.

As if for me, I was stupid. I'll give myself that.

Also during that stupid dinner he would ask me some stupid questions like "how was USA?" or "how's your dad?" and I really didn't want to know how he found out about my trip.

"Don't you remember our first date?" He asked out of the blue.

"I wish I don't." I mumbled, hoping he'd hear it.

"We were so in love, weren't we?" He said dreamily. Three years ago, maybe I'd fall for it all over again. But if he thought I would now, he had another thing coming.

"Is this going anywhere? Because I really need to go."

"To where? See your boy toy?" I opened my mouth, ready to protest to his question, but he beat me to it. "What if I told you he's not exactly looking forward to meet you now?" I quirked an eyebrow, as if challenging him to accuse my boyfriend in front of me.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm just saying that he might won't be home waiting for you." How did he know Joe wasn't home?

"Yeah. He's with Jack now."

"Right..." He trailed off, smirking as he slipped his right hand into his pants pocket. "If Jack is short for Jeanette then I guess he's being honest."

"What?" He then took out his phone and slid it on the table towards me showing a picture.

Not just a picture, it was a picture of Joe.

And not just Joe, but it was Joe and Jeanette.

Again, not just that, they seemed to be enjoying each other's lips on their owns.

Joe and Jeanette...

"Nobody's perfect, huh?" I glanced at Mike before turning my sight back to the picture in front of me.

Hold it together, Chrissy. You can't cry in front of Mike. No.

I grabbed my purse and stood up, ready to leave the stupid restaurant, when Mike stopped me, holding my wrist with his rough and unsightly palm. "Where are you going?"

"Let me go." I hissed through gritted teeth, holding back the tears from falling out of my eyes. I seemed to get better and better at it.

His grip on my wrist loosened a little though it was still there. "At least let me drive you back." He said with a smile that I used to fall for years ago.