Chapter 5 - One Good Deed

It took Eddie a few days to get Dimitri's number. The first Guardians he'd asked wouldn't hand it over. All the others he asked had never had it. It turns out the guy was as anti-social as he'd appeared. Seriously the dude couldn't have done a better job of just disappearing off the planet if he'd tried. No one had heard a word from him since he left. It's honestly like he'd walked out the front gates of the Academy and ceased to exist!

Finally, Eddie took the bull by the horns and approached the administration building. He was determined to do whatever it took to get Belikov's number. It turned out to be so much easier than he'd thought. Eighteen, tall, toned and handsome, it had taken him only a few minutes of flirting to get a copy of Belikov's contact details from the hot new young Moroi receptionist. He'd scored her number, too. It just went to prove – one good deed begets another!

He'd tried dialing the cell number almost as soon as he was back out into the commons. It went straight to voicemail, so he hung up. He needed to think about what to say before he shouted obscenities and threats down the phone. And he needed to see Rose again to satisfy himself he was doing the right thing. She was already hurting so much he needed to be certain he wouldn't be adding to her pain.

That afternoon at the infirmary things were no better. Rose's initial two-day stay had soon turned into four. And realistically she wasn't being released any time soon. The longer she stayed, the worse she seemed to get. Every time they tried to get her to sleep she'd scream the place down within half an hour. And most of the time when she was awake she'd weep uncontrollably. More than anything, she wanted to see Belikov. She cried and cried for him, begging him to come back. Asking why he'd left her. Promising to do anything if he'd just forgive her.

It was heartbreaking to watch. The invincible Rose Hathaway completely broken. The best they seemed to be able to do is sedate her – keeping her half way between waking and sleeping. She didn't have the nightmares, and she cried less. But she was barely there. They'd given up trying to get her to eat. She'd obediently take mouthfuls, but her stomach seemed to refuse it. Within moments, she'd bring it back up again – vomiting until she was bringing up green bile.

Sure now he'd seen her, Eddie strode out of the infirmary. Action needed to be taken. He sat on a bench halfway to the commons and pulled out his phone. He drafted the text about ten times, trying to keep blame and recrimination out of it. In the end, he went with

Guardian Belikov – I'm sure you had your reasons
for leaving, 
but you need to know Rose is falling apart.
She's in the infirmary 
permanently sedated.
She hasn't eaten at all or slept properly since you left. 
She cries constantly, and all she wants is to see you.
Please call or come back ASAP. 
We're all very worried for her -
she is getting worse with each passing day. Eddie Castile.

Feeling like he'd finally done something to help Rose, Eddie put his phone back in his pocket. He'd give Dimitri twelve hours and then he'd try calling again.

 He'd give Dimitri twelve hours and then he'd try calling  again