Chapter 17 - Ultimately Not Enough

When Rose woke, the whole world was quiet. As in completely silent. Her eyes opened, eyelashes fluttering against her cheeks. Her eyes fell upon her handsome Russian God, who was lying on his side with his head resting on one hand gazing at her.

"How long have you been watching me?" Rose asked, a little irritated.

"Not long? Maybe half an hour? You're just the most beautiful woman I've ever seen – I find it hard to take my eyes off you," Dimitri admitted lovingly.

She lay there for a minute, looking back at Dimitri blissfully. Who could be annoyed when her man said things like that? And he was hers now. In every way. "Why is it so quiet?!"

"Well it's 7.30 am, and the household is asleep thanks to the storm keeping everyone up last night. And it's quiet out because no one is around outside thanks to the storm and also snow is an excellent sound absorber."

"So what's the plan for today?"

"Well I thought I'd make you breakfast, and then I need to check the house. I haven't been home in close to three years so there'll be a mountain of things that need fixing."

"Can I help you?"

"If you want to. Do you know much about home maintenance?"

Rose rolled her eyes. "Unless you count painting then no, not a thing. But I'm sure you can show me."

"I love showing you..." Dimitri teased suggestively.

"And I love being shown..." she countered sexily.

Dimitri pulled Rose to him, her back against his chest. He draped an arm around her, cupping and fondling her breasts.

"You need to be super quiet, milaya. It's so still; the slightest noise will carry..." he whispered into her ear. And then he played with her – taunting her until she was softly begging him to enter her from behind - burying her face into his pillow to smother her excited noises as they joined together again.

 And then he played with her –  taunting her until she was softly begging him to enter her from behind -  burying her face into his pillow to smother her excited noises as they  joined together again

"So syrniki is cheese and egg?"

"Cottage cheese, flour, and egg. And I promise you you'll like them," Dimitri whispered.

Last night had been the single best night of his life. Standing here in the kitchen of his family's house quietly making breakfast for the household, Dimitri kept getting distracted by the gorgeous woman sitting on the bench beside him wearing his old TShirt. It was hard to believe Rose was here. That after everything they'd endured they were finally together. Halfway across the world from where they'd met, she was sitting on the kitchen bench in his family home after a night of passionate lovemaking! Hell – a week ago he'd been in Portland trying to work out how to go on with a life without her – and now here she was. His.

When they'd been at St. Vladimir's, Dimitri had done his best to convince himself that duty, obligation, and Moroi came first. Just like he was trained. And he'd fought for it – he really had. But then there was Rose. How could anything come ahead of her?! He wasn't incognisant of the ramifications of their decision – and he hoped she understood, too. But they each had one life. And he wanted to spend his being with her.