Chapter 6 - Promises

Rose had once described Dimitri as 'death in a duster' because of the way he had so much concentration when he set his mind to killing Strigoi. And as he strode into the infirmary, Eddie could see the same sort of driven focus. The sheer determination coming from the guy was palpable. But as well as single-minded and angry, he looked exhausted – understandable given he'd been in transit for almost nine hours after coming off a night shift. It was 1.30 pm - the middle of the Moroi night. The infirmary was all but deserted, and if the Moroi nurse on duty realized Dimitri was no longer a Guardian at the Academy, she gave no indication of it – letting him walk straight through as if he owned the place.

Walking directly into Rose's room, Dimitri had his duster slung over the back of a chair, his stakes and phone on the seat, shoes off, duffel bag on the floor and her drugged body in his arms within seconds. He lifted her as though she weighed nothing, moving her slightly to one side as he slid onto the hospital bed beside her. Holding her to him, Eddie could hear as he whispered loving things to her in Russian, kissing her gently all over her face and hair.

Eddie looked away embarrassed. These weren't the actions of a mentor towards a favorite student. These were the actions of a man in love. Switching to English, Dimitri was telling Rose he was there. That he loved her and that no one was going to hurt her now he was there. That he would never leave her again. Positioning her so her head was resting on his shoulder, her body curled against his, Dimitri carefully made sure her back and sides were supported by pillows before he leaned back against the raised bed head.

"Thank you for waiting with her" he finally said, acknowledging Eddie's presence for the first time. "And for contacting me. Has there been any change?"

"Not since the seizure thing today when Adrian, Christian, and Lissa were visiting. She's still knocked out completely. I think she'll be better now you're here. She's been desperate to see you." Eddie tried, with only limited success, to keep recrimination out of his voice.

"I should never have let them make me leave," Dimitri mumbled, mostly to himself. Eddie wasn't sure what he meant by it but figured the guy looked so tired and worried about Rose that now wasn't the time to pursue it.

"I'm going to head to bed now. They do observations every hour or so. They did last round just before you arrived so you'll have around an hour before anyone knows you're here."

Dimitri nodded, cradling Rose against him. "Thanks, Castile. I mean it. I'll never be able to repay you for letting me know. I'm not sure how they're going to react to me being here, so I won't mention that you messaged me or knew I was coming."

Eddie wished him the best of luck. No matter what happened now, he felt he'd done the right thing by getting Dimitri back here for Rose.

Closing his eyes, Dimitri all but drank in the feeling of Rose, his Roza, back in his arms where she belonged. It had been a long day, but everything was worth it now he was with her. After getting Eddie's text message, he'd packed up in Portland, arriving at the airport four hours ahead of the only direct flight to Missoula. He'd touched down just before midday, grateful to have been met by Emil. Probably the closest thing Dimitri had to a friend here at St. Vladimir's, Emil had agreed immediately when Dimitri had called and asked if he'd meet the plane and give him a lift from the airport back to the Academy – a two-hour drive.

"I suppose this has to do with the Hathaway girl" had been his only comment. That's the thing Dimitri liked best about Emil. He didn't waste time on unnecessary chat, and he didn't pry.

Closing his eyes, Dimitri fell into the most peaceful sleep he'd had since the night before he left the academy – holding his woman in his arms. The Moroi nurse spotted him on her ward rounds, but he and Rose looked so serene together, she didn't have the heart to wake him. A few hours later Rose started to stir. Waking immediately, he kissed her hair and started stroking her back.