Chapter 62 - If Only You Knew

As per the plan they'd checked in to a hotel in Missoula. The Staybridge Suites weren't a patch on the Novosibirsk Marriot, but the self-contained rooms were immaculately clean and comfortable, and after the long flight all Rose and Dimitri wanted was a shower and to climb into bed beside one another.

"Comrade? I know we're meant to be sleeping, but do you think we could order some pizza?" Rose cajoled. She'd had pizza last weekend in Novosibirsk, but it hadn't been the same as American pizza. Knowing she'd be back at the Academy in hours, and unable to just dial for some cheesy goodness, now seemed like the perfect time to indulge. "They open in ten minutes, and you know if I have enough cheese and carbs I'll fall straight asleep," Rose promised.

Dimitri didn't take much convincing. Pizza was his one American fast food delight.

"I'll go see if Vika and Leslie want any," Dimitri said climbing out of bed, his sweatpants hanging low on his hips as he walked to their room next door. Pavel had booked them a two-bedroom self-contained suite with its own kitchen and a small sitting room. Not that they needed more than a few beds for their ten-hour stay, but Abe and his Guardians would be staying at this hotel for a few days after Rose and Dimitri returned to the Academy, so it had made sense to book an extra suite at the same place for the day they'd be staying. Leslie and Vika were in a twin room together next door. The two got along well, and it gave Vika someone to ask her hundreds of questions to, while Rose and Dimitri had their privacy in the king-sized room beside them.

"They want a Super Supreme. Can you order a Pepperoni for us and whatever else you want?" Her man knew her well, Rose reflected – one pizza would certainly not be enough for the two of them. Rose rang through the order, lying back in bed while she waited for it to be delivered. She lay there with her head on Dimitri's chest, eyes closed and enjoying his touch as he stroked her hair while he read one of his ever-present Western novels.

The pizzas, when they arrived, were every bit as good as Rose had remembered. They'd sat in the little sitting room, she, Dimitri, Vika, and Leslie, eating slice after delicious slice.

"Oh my God," Viktoria mumbled through a mouthful of pizza, "is all American food like this?"

"Sadly not," Rose replied laughing. "The food at the Academy isn't fantastic, which is why I wanted to order pizza while we had the chance."

"I've missed real pizza," Leslie moaned. "I love Turkish and Russian food – but there's nothing quite like American pizza."

After gorging on pizza, Rose obediently climbed into bed and surprised herself by actually sleeping. She'd woken naturally in the late afternoon, rolling on to her side to watch Dimitri as he dozed. He always looked younger when he slept. It was as if he finally let all his worries go. His eyelashes were impossibly dark and thick against his cheeks, and his full lips relaxed. Most of the time Dimitri's face was impassive in repose, but sometimes – like now – he wore a slight smile as he slept.

He was naked in the bed – since their first night as lovers Rose and Dimitri had slept naked together. Rose looked at Dimitri's well-defined chest, and abs and the v lower down that was partially concealed by the bedclothes draped across his hips. He'd always had a Godly body, but two months of ten-hour days of training had made him even more taut, lean and delicious. If his front was sex personified, Rose wasn't sure there was an adequate description for his back. Every bit as defined as his chest and abs, each time Rose saw Dimitri's back she wanted to kiss it. Run her hands across it. Nip at it with her teeth. Even concealed under a shirt when he was in his Guardian uniform, it was magnificent.

Checking the clock, it was 4 pm. They were due to leave at 5.30 pm for the two-hour drive to the academy. Three hours left of freedom. Rose couldn't help the sigh that escaped her lips.