Chapter 55 - Attack or Retreat?

Rose wouldn't say she was hung over – but she certainly wasn't feeling her finest. Waking up curled beside Dimitri, she lay there watching him sleep for a while. It was less than a week now until they were due to return to St. Vladimir's, and Rose was starting to get nervous. Everything was so easy here in Russia, it was genuinely tempting to stay. She could see them having a very comfortable life here, and she'd already decided she wanted Dimitri to teach her the language. But part of Rose knew it was time to go home. She had things she needed to achieve, and whether they ended up long-term in Russia or America, she needed to finish things at St. Vladimir's first.

Of course, everything hung on whether Dimitri could get a posting back at St. Vlad's. They'd decided he'd call Alberta tomorrow to discuss the issue. They knew he'd be at her mercy in terms of the shifts and conditions Dimitri would have to accept, but Rose was hoping her guilt about the way in which he'd left, and the fallout it had caused, would make Alberta inclined to be kind. Or at least fair. And if she wasn't? Well - they'd cross that bridge if they came to it.

"I can feel you looking at me milaya," Dimitri said huskily, his lips curling into a smile.

"I'm allowed to look, aren't I?"

"Look, touch, kiss – I'm all yours," he laughed, opening up his eyes to look at Rose. "How are you feeling?"

"Not too bad. You?"

"Pretty good, actually. What time is it?"

"Almost nine. Should we get dressed and grab some breakfast somewhere?"

"Cooked breakfast downstairs in the restaurant is part of the room fee. It's a buffet."

"They're going to regret renting a room to two Dhampir," Rose laughed, knowing her own propensity to each large at the start of the day. "I'm famished this morning," she said meaningfully.

"Me too," Dimitri replied with a smirk, thinking about all the energy they'd burned off together last night.

They dressed casually and caught the lift down to the buffet. Rose was staggered by the selection – almost everything imaginable was available from traditional Russian foods to American favorites. Both piling plates high, they returned to their table to start on course one.

"So do you have plans for us today?" Rose asked, tackling a mountain of scrambled eggs on black bread.

"No, but I've got some ideas. We could go to the shopping mall and check that out, or there's the zoo? Otherwise, we could go for a run along the waterfront if you want? Or there's also a couple of open-air ice-skating rinks? There's also the museum and the cathedral – they're both worth checking out. Or we could go to the local markets?"

"It all sounds good. What do you suggest?" Rose asked, pausing with her fork close to her mouth.

"I liked the idea of ice-skating followed by the markets and then maybe the shopping center? You could shop for gifts for your friends back home?" Dimitri looked at Rose astutely. "I know it's been on your mind milaya..."

"It has," Rose sighed. "It's been so wonderful here, but it's time to go back, isn't it?"

Dimitri nodded. "It's not forever, Roza. Coming back has shown me something – three years was too long. I want to visit Russia more often."

"There's still Demyan's offer."

"Yes there is, and it's very tempting. But if that's not the way things work out, I'd really like to try and come here every year or so."

"I'd like that too. I feel very at home here. But then I feel at home wherever you are," Rose admitted, a pretty blush staining her cheeks.