Chapter 40

***Conrad's POV***

I have undergone a series of tests. It includes the prostate cancer screening tests gaya ng digital rectal exam or prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test. Yung tinatawag nilang imaging studies tulad ng bones scans, MRIs, CT scans, and trans-rectal ultrasounds ay pinagdaanan ko rin.

Pagkatapos ng lahat ng tests sa akin ay pinabalik ako ng specialist for the result. I expected for the worst but at the same time praying that I would have the chance to survive longer.

"After series of tests, we found out that you're on the last stage of prostate cancer, the stage 4... I'm sorry Mr Smith."

"What?! Stage 4?" mas lalo akong kinabahan.

"The tumor already spread to the other parts of your body, including your lymph nodes, lungs, liver, bones, as well as your bladder...."

Bigla akong tinakasan ng lakas sa aking narinig.

"What's my chance of surviving then?"

"I'll be honest with you, in your stage, usually, the 5-year survival rate is 29%. But don't worry.... with the advances in prostate cancer treatment technology, you may have a greater chance of survival. You just need to undergo those treatments. Your great determination to survive is also a high factor."

"Please do everything, Dr. Craig. I'll take all those treatments as needed."

"Alright then, we'll start it in three days but you'll be an in-house patient until the treatments are done..."

"That's fine. Thanks Doctor!"

***Edward's POV***

I'm worried about Uncle as I couldn't reach him. He's not answering my phone calls and Tito Rick said that the last conversation he had with him was when I went to his office.

I tried contacting several people in our businesses in the U.S. but nobody knows where he is.

What is he up to?

Uncle has never been like this. He would tell me of everything. I'm feeling that something is wrong and that I need to find out.

I am on the way back to the office building... I was busy searching for people in my contact list that might have information about Uncle when I suddenly bumped into something... I mean someone...

"I'm sorr... M-Maya?!"

She's like petrified when she saw me.

Suddenly she composed herself.

"Good morning po, Sir."

"I told you to drop it.."

She just half-smiled.

"Can we talk?"

"Huh?! Why po? I mean... about what?"

"On few things... Can we do it over lunch now?"

"Uhm... wait I have to call Mama first. She's expecting me.."

"What if we just buy food and then eat it with your mom, instead... I wanna meet her, too."

"Ah... no...no! She's kind of busy right now.. Yeah, she's busy... We'll just have lunch somewhere else... You can meet her some other time... Not now."

"I see. Okay, then. Let's go?"

She nodded and walked with me as we headed to the car park.

I opened the car door for her and let her sit in front with me. She doesn't speak so I tried breaking the silence.