Key Words: "Used To"

Tumblr Request: "Prompt 14: the reader finds out all the horrible stuff Jason has done and he's afraid he's gonna lose them"

Prompt 14: "I used to do a lot of things."

---

Jason Todd, the name of your boyfriend. He had his secrets, but who didn't? You sure as hell did, though yours weren't quite as big.

As told to you by the Red Hood helmet currently resting in your hands.

Jason and you have been together for sometime now, but you still knew very little about his job. You knew it was at night and was for a security company. Which you found plausible because of his amount of firearms.

But you didn't ever understand how he could get so injured when he told you he was working at a concert or exhibit that night. You've seen him come back to his apartment with cuts and bruises.

You didn't live together but you stayed over sometimes, causing you to see the wounds. Once you even had to pop his dislocated shoulder back into place... ew.

You were staying at his apartment on this current night. Coming through the door you saw the place in disarray, something uncommon for the normally neat Jason.

Though remembering him saying he got called out on an emergency, you figured that was the reason for the mess. Deciding he would most likely be tired coming back you began to pick up the discarded items of clothing and putting his random stuff into his bedroom closet. Where you'd previously seen the items.

Though the stacking and shifting of items made the once tucked away helmet come crashing to the floor and find it's way into your hands.

It explained a lot honestly, but you still couldn't help but feel betrayed by him.

Entranced at the red surface you were oblivious to the door opening.

Jason walked through the door of his apartment. Seeing it picked up and noticing your shoes and jacket. "Hey babe" he yelled into the apartment while removing his shoes and jacket as well.

Walking further into the apartment, "[F/n]? calling once more. "Sorry I'm late but thanks for picking up. You're the —-" his voice caught in his throat upon seeing you exit his room, the helmet in your hands.

All of the worries he had of you finding that came to the forefront. He always wanted to tell you he was Red Hood, hell he wanted you to move in with him. But his fear of losing you due to his past was too much of a risk and kept him from it. What if you hated what he did before and left? He'd be devastated.

So, instead he stood there frozen like a deer in headlights.

"Well?" You asked, the betrayal laced in your voice. He opened his mouth to speak but resulted in his voice catching in his throat. "Jason, why do you have this?" you yelled, sick of his silence.

"I-I" he sputtered. Unable to form words, let alone a sentence. Taking a deep breath he confessed, "I'm the Red Hood"

"When were you going to tell me?" You questioned, tears stinging your eyes and throwing the helmet to the armchair. How could he keep something like this from you?

He went to say something but instead diverted his eyes from yours.

"Oh, I get it" a breathy laugh or more scoff escaped your throat. "You weren't going to tell me" shaking your head at him.

"[F/n] I wanted to tell you, I-I just couldn't" he said desperately trying to express his reasoning.

"Why?" your voice was breathy and quiet.

He ran his hands through his hair before walking to sit on the couch. His head burying in his hands.

Sighing you walked around the couch and sat on the coffee table, facing him. He looked up at you. "[F/n] I..." he paused, "I used to do a lot of things. A lot of bad things"

"I know, I remember the news stories." You had seen all of the headlines about when the Red Hood was taking out all of the crime lords.

"I didn't want you to find out about the person I was. I wanted to start new with you. Please don't be mad with me, I'm not that person anymore. I need you." he explained, not breaking eye contact with you.

"Jay, I'm not mad about what you did. What I'm unhappy about is that you lied to me for so long. Coming back with bruises and dislocated joints, god knows what other injuries you've obtained." You revealed softly, his shoulders relaxed some. "I just worry about you."

"I'm sorry, I should've told you. I just didn't want to risk losing you, I love you." He took your hand in his and brought your knuckles to his lips.

Your eyes softened, "Just promise you'll tell me truth from now on."

"I promise. No! I swear that I will never lie to you again. And I'm going to start right now." After saying that, he went on to explain everything that happened to him. About his mother's addiction, his life on the street, then being robin, his death by the joker, his resurrection and becoming Red Hood, and finally his reconciliation with his family.

"Is this why you never wanted me to meet them, because they're all heroes?" squeezing his hand.

He nodded, "I have to ask you something though" giving you a small smile. "What is it?" running your thumb over his knuckles.

"Will you move in with me?" You could see the worry of rejection in his eyes. Smiling you leaned in and softly connected your lips to his, "I basically live here already" you chuckled.

He smiled before pulling you onto the couch with him. "I'm so relieved you understand"

"I'm glad that there's no more secrets" you smiled nuzzling into his chest.

"Never again. And I'll have to introduce you to my family now" he proposed. Grin growing, you nodded your head "I'd love that."

"But for now, lets just enjoy this" you added before pecking his cheek. He smiled before pulling you closer and placing a kiss on your temple.

"I love you [F/n]" he said into your hair.

"And I love you.. Red Hood~" You teased before he pulled you closer chuckling. He's always such a worrier.