Why Try? [Pt. 1 to Try Try Again]

Tumblr Request: "Angst Prompt: Jason Todd number 20!!"

Prompt 20: "For once, stop pretending you're okay! Just talk to me!"

---

You're in a panic. Alfred had just called you, saying Jason had gotten hurt on patrol. He hadn't provided much detail but you heard Jason's pained groans in the background, the occasional curse word being thrown in. Telling Alfred you'd be there soon, all the while speeding through the Gotham streets toward the Manor.

Things with Jason haven't been the most solid as of late. Lately he has been reckless and withdrawn. He used to tell you about what happened on patrol. Smiling while telling you about the people he saved, struggling to talk about ones he hadn't. You were his shoulder to cry on, but lately he'd just get home from patrol and go to bed without uttering a word. It's worrying, and these thoughts were only making you worry more.

Once you got to the Manor, Alfred let you in and you immediately ran down to the cave. Coming upon the scene of Jason wrapped up in bandages and bruised. "Oh my god, Jason!" gasping while running to his side. "Agh, I told you guys not to call her!" he groaned, making your heart crack.

"Jason, what happened?" Ignoring his complaint. "Nothing" he answered shortly, shifting so he was sitting up on the cot with his back to you. Glancing over at his brothers and Bruce, a look asking for privacy. They had gotten the message and went up into the manor.

"Jason, I'm begging you. Please talk to me."

He brushed you off wincing as he walked, "There's nothing to talk about. I'm fine."

"For once, stop pretending you're okay! Just talk to me!" Voice bursting from your throat. "I said 'no' [F/n]! Jesus just stop!" yelling back, that made your teeth clench as tears came to your eyes.

"What happened? Not on patrol, but to us? Why do you avoid me all of the time? I worry about you Jason!" Asking in a softer tone, knowing yelling won't get through to him. "What?" he turned to you.

"Do you even love me anymore? You don't talk, you barely even look at me now. When you do look at me, it's cold. What did I do to make you not trust me?" Tears streamed down your cheeks, falling to the floor after pooling under your chin. Jason's heart broke at seeing you like that, but why couldn't he bring himself to just pull you in and engulf you in a hug? Why couldn't he comfort you the way he used to?

He only stood there silent, you grew more confused and angry. A scoff escaped your throat, "Either you say something or I'm done Jason!" you growled at him, sick of his silence

"I don't know what you want me to say [F/n]!" He yelled back, wincing at his injuries again. "If you're not going to fight for this, for us, why should I even try? I'm sick and tired of feeling so resented in my own home. Jason I love you and it feels like I'm just someone you live with now! I have fought to be with you but you-you just keep pushing me farther and farther.." Voice straining with each word before trailing off.

He hesitated, seeing the pain in your eyes. "[F/n] I-" You rose a hand to him, "I know what you're going to say and I can't take anymore excuses. I can't do this anymore Jason, I don't have any more fight in me." You shrugged, voice fragile as glass, as tears trailed down your cheeks again.

Jason stood there staring at you, tears pooling in the corners of his own blue eyes, but he didn't say anything. Taking that as an answer you shook your head and went to the exit of the cave. Giving him one last glance before walking out of his life and him falling out of yours.