Lockets

Prompt: "Imagine Person B discovering Person A keeps a locket with pictures of Person A and B."

---

It wasn't often that your apartment needed to be cleared out. Both you and Jason were pretty tidy people so it wasn't often that you needed to do any spring cleaning. However, things began to pile up in your bedroom closet. It had been driving Jason crazy but neither you or him had gotten around to doing it.

However, when a Sunday rolled around that neither of you had anything to do, you both decided to tackle that closet.

He was pulling out boxes and bags as you were going through them. Throwing things into three piles. One for trash, another for donation, and lastly for what to keep. You had music playing softly in the background, keeping your ears occupied as you hummed along to the lyrics.

Jason got up and set another box on the bed beside you. Your eyes flickered up to look at him, giving him a smile before he went back to look through more stuff.

Pulling the flaps of the boxes open, you began to pull things out. Throwing an old t-shirt into the donation box, a notebook from your freshman year in college into the trash, laughing you discovered a book you were assigned in high school. Smiling you set it in the 'keep' pile, determined to look into reading it again and to look at your old notes in the margins.

It was peaceful. You and Jason simply enjoying the other's company with the melody of the music playing in the background.

You weren't drawn away from your sorting and the music until Jason chuckled asking, "What's this?"

Looking up you spotted a thin gold chain hanging out of his hand as it was attached to something in his palm. Your head tilted as you slipped off the bed to see what he was holding. Upon seeing his palm a soft smile graced your lips. He was holding a golden locket, it was opened to reveal a picture of Jason when he was still young. Before his death.

"That's my locket. Alfred gave me that after you died." You gently took it from his hand. Affectionately brushing your thumb over the picture. A smile pulled at your lips. "I missed you so much, Alfred wanted me to have you with me at all times. I didn't take it off until you came back."

Jason looked at the picture again, an arm settling around your waist. "I remember when he took that. It was Christmas at the Manor, I was so excited because Alfred got me a cookbook. You kept this?"

You smiled and nodded. "I thought I lost it. I put it in my pocket one day and when we got home it was gone. I guess it got buried back here." You clipped the locket shut and put it back around your neck."

Jason smiled and kissed your temple. "I didn't know you were that into me when we were kids." He teased and you hit his chest. "Oh shut up. You liked me just as much as I liked you." Turning you wrapped your arms around his neck. "You thought you were this badass sidekick and you were actually just a caring guy, trying to make a difference."

"You give me too much credit."

"No" you cupped his face. "I give you just enough." Saying before you pecked his lips. "And I have this to prove it." You tapped the locket now around your neck with a smile.

He chuckled and rolled his eyes. His fingers gently took the locket and opened it, looking at the picture inside again. His thumb gently rubbed over the picture as if it would disappear after his thumb passed over it, like it was an illusion. But he almost looked relieved to see his younger self smiling back at him.

Your eyes watched him carefully. "Jay?" You whispered and his eyes flickered back to you. "Sorry, I just... I was just remembering."

Reaching up you gently wrapped a hand around his and gave it a gentle squeeze. "It's okay. You're allowed to." You brought his hand to your lips so you could place a gentle kiss to it before rubbing it in with your thumb.

"I love you" He said suddenly.

Smiling you pushed up to kiss him before pulling away. "I love you too baby, let's take a break and have some lunch, hm?"

Nodding he laced his fingers with yours to lead you into the kitchen. Beginning to ask you what kind of sandwich you wanted. A laugh bubbled from your throat at the quick change of topic from something sentimental to the importance of condiments. Only Jason could make such a switch.

During your entire walk to the kitchen you gently fiddled with the locket, watching as he bounced around the kitchen to make lunch. Reminding you of when he was a young teenager cooking in the manor kitchen, bouncing from fridge to counter with ingredients as he read out of the cookbook Alfred gave him for Christmas.