Part 10

"Nooo Tio!" Anna giggled reaching up on her tippy toes trying to retrieve the gifts Lincoln held over his head. "Ookay. I'm going to put them here." Lincoln laughed and put them on the table beside the cake. "Ohh Anna look over there a frog!" Lincoln smirked pointing over towards the wall. "What?" Anna looked back curiously and that's when Lincoln dipped his finger in the cake. When Anna turned back around he covered the tip of her nose with icing. "Ahhh" The young girl laughed out. "Looks like you two are having fun." Octavia walked over to them giggling. "Mhm." Lincoln smiled and put the remaining purple icing onto Octavia's nose too." She gasped and squinted at him. "Wow so funny." She said and shook her head, Anna laughing at them. "Well here you go Anna, happy birthday." Octavia handed her a small gift box and then wiped her nose. "What do you say?" Lincoln nudged Anna. "Thank you!" She ran over and gave Octavia a hug before Lexa called her over.

"You didn't have to get her anything." Lincoln glanced over at Octavia appreciatively, his hands in his pockets. "It's her Birthday, and she's super sweet, it was no problem really." Octavia waved off his concern. "Well thanks for coming." He kissed her cheek softly. "Of course." She smiled, blushing a little at the kiss.

Durning diner, everyone was laughing and chatting with the people in front of them, Anna giggling with her little friends. Octavia was nodding and laughing at the appropriate times, having to force herself just a little, not that she wasn't enjoying herself, she just didn't know anyone. And it didn't help that Lincoln seemed very off. Like something was bugging him, he kept checking his phone and shutting it or flipping it over every time octavia looked over at it. She tried to not overthink it, but of course she couldn't do that.  In the middle of dessert, Lincoln stood up, rather abruptly. "I'm sorry. I gotta go. Work emergency, it was delicious." He apologized and went around to Anna. "Happy Birthday Princess." He whispered and gave her a hug, Lexa giving him a concerned look. Octavia biting her lip, he couldn't just leave her. He walked over to Octavia and kissed the top of her head and whispered in her ear. "I'm so sorry. I'll call you later." She only nodded, not wanting to be dramatic about it, but she didn't want him to leave. She was worried, upset even, for him just spontaneously ditching her like that.

After dinner, Octavia said bye to everyone and gave Anna a hug wishing her a happy birthday once again. As soon as she got into her car, she called Lincoln. No answer. Octavia tried to brush it off but something didn't feel right. She decided to drive over to Lincoln's. She unlocked the door using the hidden key under the welcome mat. She walked in and put her purse down. She walked over and sat on the couch, her plan was to stay up and wait for him, but exhaustion took over and she fell asleep.

She flew awake to the sound of a branch hitting the window. It was completely dark in the house. She was sitting on the couch with her shoes still on. She yawned and reached over grabbing her phone. "2:15?" Her eyes grew wide. Lincoln still wasn't back yet.

Now she was worried, calling him about a million times, leaving messages. Finally, around 45 minutes later, she heard a car pull up.

The man shivered in pain as he walked up to his front steps unlocking the door. His face was smashed, his chest was cut, his knuckles were bruised. He was covered in dry blood. He walked into the dark house and pulled off his shoes. "Ahh." He groaned out in pain quietly as he walked over to the kitchen. He flicked on a light. "Jesus." He spoke startled when he saw Octavia sitting at the table. "Welcome home. Where have you been?!" Octavia snapped, standing up. "Out." Lincoln mumbled turning around walking to the fridge trying to avoid her so she didn't notice his face. "Out? Lincoln.... ITS 2:30 IN THE MORNING!" Octavia yelled. "I know! I'm sorry! I had things to deal with." He told her. "What things?!" She was all angry now— and extremely tired. She walked over and pulled Lincoln's shoulder turning him around. She gasped at the sight of him and then sighed. "What did they do to you." She frowned and gently rubbed her finger under his eye. "It's nothing." Lincoln said pushing her arm away. "Nothing? This is not nothing. Let me help." She frowned. "No. I'm ok." He shook his head, not wanting her to worry. "Babe. Please." She whispered, voice softer as she stared at his face. "Ok." He gave in, unable to say no to her when she gave him that face.

She brought him to the bathroom. "Where did you go." She asked running a cloth under warm water and began to clean his face. "I have....unfinished business with them....they are a little more needy than I remember." Lincoln admitted. "What's that suppose to mean." She asked gently taking off his shirt. "It means you don't have to worry. I took care of it." He reassured, moving his arms up to help her out. "Well. I'm going to worry." She mumbled,  cleaning his stomach from dry blood. "Well don't." He grunted in pain, trying to hold it in. "Why can't you just tell me." The brunette whined, fingers gentle after cleaning the wound. "O. Please don't do this. You know that me telling you this is already putting you in danger." He said. "But. I like danger." She huffed. "Well not this kind. I'm serious Octavia. Please, I'm only trying to protect you." Lincoln grabbed his shirt, pulling it back on and passed Octavia out of the bathroom.

She just rolled her eyes and pouted.  Lincoln walked to his room and laid down on the bed. Octavia slowly dragged herself up to his room and flopped down on the other side of the bed purposely away from him. "Really..." Lincoln spoke, raising his eyebrow. "Hmm." The stubborn girl closed her eyes and didn't answer him. "Get your little butt over here monkey." He said grabbing her waist and pulled her close to him. "Ugh." She grunted. "Don't be mad. Please." He brought his hands up to scratch her back gently. "I'm not mad." She let out a sigh. "I understand. I do. I just wish I could help. I don't want people to hurt you." She whispered, tracing the cuts on his face. "Don't worry about that. They barley hurt." Lincoln told her. "Mhm. You're such a liar." She giggled. "Maybe." Lincoln closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her.