1.

February 2000

Ring! Ring! Ring!

That was first sound I woke up too that Friday morning. No chirping of the birds, no music, just the sound of the phone. I sat up in my bed and yawned. Looking over at the clock it read 6:56 am. Who the hell could be calling me this early? I grabbed the phone that set on my nightstand and put it up to my ear.

"Yo, whoever you are, why you calling me so early?" I asked aggravated. I was still upset from last night and then on top of that somebody had the nerve to call me so early.

"What's up Dana? This Earl" The base in his voice and startled me. I rubbed my eyes.

"Oh, nothing you know just trying to sleep" I spoke sarcastically

"My bad g but I was wondering if you wanted to go to breakfast with me before you went to class. I haven't seen you in forever." I mentally rolled my eyes. This was his 4th time calling me this week but I had never replied. I had met Earl on campus and he was slightly older than me. He didn't go to the college because he was 10 years my senior but when I met him, him and his homies were sitting around scooping out underage females.

I knew he was trifling when I first seen him. The way he looked and you could smell the alcohol on his breath when he talked. But all I really wanted from him was his money since after all he did sell drugs. How else would he have gotten that $3000 chain and 99' Benz.

"Um.. today?"

"Yeah today. When else?" He chuckled.

Bitch you better have him wine and dine you. I thought to myself.

"Fine. Pick me up at 9." I finally said after a moment of silence.

"Cool shorty. See you soon." I could hear him smile and I said bye. I hung up the phone and laid back down. I was not trying to go out with dude but hey, why not? I didn't deserve to be crying over a nigga who was married. I deserved happiness and I deserved to be fed.

Sliding on my house shoes, I walked over to my record stereo and popped in the Boyz 11 Men cd. The music boomed through my apartment as I made my way to the bathroom. It was locked and I heard the shower running.

"Khalil! Hurry your ass up I got somewhere to be!" I yelled as I banged on the door.

"I just got in Dana! You can wait a few more minutes!"

"Khalil!! Come on man!"I pouted and began to impatiently tap my foot. I heard the shower turn off and a few seconds later he opened the door and stared down at me.

 "Good morning princess" He pecked my lips softly and pulled me into a big hug

" Yo your mad wet." I said prying him off me and wiping my mouth. "And why would you just kiss me? You dirty and I don't know where yo nasty mouth been." I stared up at him waiting for an answer.

"I'm in a good ass mood Dee." He walked around me but not before slapping my ass first.

"Dude..." I clenched my teeth. He walked into his room and shut the door behind him. Now you're probably wondering like what the hell? This girl talk to 3 dudes but trust me that's not the case. Khalil and I have been friends since god knows when. Literally it's been that long. He was my first everything but when we got older we realized we couldn't be a couple. It would mess up our friendship. We had both graduated from the same high school and were going to the same college so we thought why not get an apartment together. Khalil was a huge flirt with his light skinned self. I truly loved my best friend.

After getting out the shower I walked back to my room and opened my closet looking for something to wear. It was the beginning of February and in Chicago it was literally freezing. I had decided on a cheetah print turtle neck dress and my black knee high boots. I flat ironed my hair and only applied lipgloss and mascara. I looked at my self in the mirror and smiled. I was really that bitch hands down.

Happy with my appearance,  I grabbed my Gucci bag that one of my side niggas bought me and transferred my books and things into that bag. At 8:45 I made my way back into the living room and spotted Khalil sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal.

"Boy get yo nasty feet off my glass table." He eyeballed me and laughed.

" You must think you momma or sum shit."

"I am yo momma now remove your feet." Smacking his lips, he removed his feet.

"Where you going? With Isaiah?" I rolled my eyes at the sound of his name and picked up my sunglasses from off the table along with my keys.

"No ew. Fuck him"

"That's exactly what you're gonna be doing tomorrow." He snickered. "Stop falling for his shenanigans, seriously Dana." He eyed me.

"You know that'll never happen." I smiled and he just looked at me.

"Bye Dana." He rolled his eyes at me.

"Bye love you." I blew him kisses while heading out the door.