19.

"So." Karen-Grace, Dana's mother said glancing at her and back at the corn she was shucking. "When are me and your father going to meet-"

"Ma." Dana interrupted her. "Don't start, please."

"Do you even have a man?"

Dana placed her hand on the counter and took a deep breath. "No."

"No? What about that boy you room with?"

"That's my best friend ma."

"You two have never.. you know..did it?"

"No." She blew out a breath and shook her head. "We're just friends that's it."

Karen put the corn down and turned to face her daughter. "You could show a bit more respect."

"I don't owe you shit."

"Excuse you?"

"You heard me." Dana glared at her mother. "You should be lucky I'm even considering talking to you after what you did to me, daddy, and David."

"Dana really?"

"Yes really!" She slammed her fist on the granite counter. "I will never forgive you for what you done. Mother or not." She shrugged.

"Why do you always have to bring up my faults around holidays? For god sakes tomorrow is Mother's Day! Could you at least forget about what happened and-"

"No. I'm not forgetting shit." She interrupted. "What you did was foul as hell mom. You broke our hearts and you could never repair it. "

"Jesus." Karen placed her hand over her forehead and sighed. "I'm sorry. "

"Yeah, well you should be. Those sorries don't make up the fact you cheated on daddy not once but three times. Was he not good enough? Was I not good enough? How about David? You didn't even say goodbye when you left for all those years. I cried every night wondering where you were and begging for you to come back but you never showed. Those nights started to turn into weeks, weeks into months, months into years. And if I can remember correctly you were gone for about 4 years right?"

"Dammit Dana! I don't know how many times I can say sorry!" Karen screamed out in frustration.

"However many times you need to!" She yelled at the brink of crying. "And then you wonder why I'm always treating you a certain way because of what you did to me! You don't deserve nothing! You don't deserve respect, love, trust, none of that shit. It's gone!" Dana stormed out of the kitchen but not running into her Aunt Vanessa and her mothers daughters Yasmine, Malaysia, and Ashanti. She didn't care if they heard her or not. She wiped her eyes before walking out the door.

"Mom you ok?" Yasmine asked Karen as they entered the kitchen.

"I'm fine." She replied and went back to shucking her corn.

"You want me to beat her ass?"

"No Yasmine. She's just upset. That's it."

"She treats you like shit mom. Everyone sees it. " Malaysia spoke out next and took a seat at the table.

"I don't blame her. I should've never stepped out on her father."