Chapter 25

"Penny Peabody?" Toni asked softly. "God Toni it's actually tearing me apart." "Em.." "I cant handle it, she's so...so needy and threatening everyone I love!" Toni hugged me. "It's okay." "T.."

"How're you gonna tell Sweet Pea?"
"How am I gonna tell Sweet Pea?"

The Next Day—

Toni and I arrived at the same time and I sat down by Sweet Pea and Toni sat by Jug. My phone started buzzing. "Oh fun." Sweet Pea said reaching over. "No!" I shouted. "Penny... Peabody." He said reading my screen. I grabbed my phone from his grasp and walked away. "Penny what?!" "Oh nothing just wanted to get you in trouble since you missed our meeting." The line went dead and I turned back to my friends. I came back and sat down and put my head in my hands. "Emerald." Sweet Pea started. "Stop. Just stop." I said. "I'm sorry. I had to do what she's been telling me to do or... she'd hurt off of you. Especially you." I said looking at Sweet Pea.

"What do you mean?" Sweet Pea asked. "You're her soft underbelly." Fangs spoke up, realizing everything. Toni looked over at me with her famous look. "Don't give me that look Toni." She only laughed and looked at Sweet Pea. "Listen I have something to do." I said looked at my texts from Penny. "For Penny?" Sweet Pea asked softly. I sighed, "Yeah. I should be back before lunch." I said grabbing my stuff. "What is she having you doing?" Toni asked. "Something with damn Malachi." I snapped. "What does that mean?" Fangs asked. Sweet Pea looked at me, he knew why I hated it. "Charlie.." He said softly. "Well you can't go by yourself." Sweet Pea said standing up. "Penny'll be there." They all scoffed and rolled their eyes. "Penny? She won't protect you." Toni said. "Sweet Pea's right. You can't go alone." "Whatta want me to do? Wear a wire?" I joked walking away.

As I got to the door I could hear Principe Weatherbee yell at the Serpents. I looked back with my hand on the handle.

Penny: don't be late.

Emerald: I'm on my way calm down.

I pushed the handle down and left. I walked down to the Southside and met Penny. "What happened to not being late?" She asked bitterly. "I couldn't take the bike, Jug needed it. And I don't know how long this is gonna take so let's get it over with Okay?" I snapped. "Someone didn't have their coffee." She said opening the door. "It's 10 am Penny." I muttered under my breath. "Emerald! Penny!" Malachi said. "Malachi." Penny said. I rolled my eyes and I saw Charlie in the corner. "I think you've met my son, Charlie." He said motioning Charlie to come. "How's your wrist Gem?" Charlie asked. I moved my wrist behind my back. "Go What we asked for?" Malachi asked. "Yes Malachi we do." Penny said pulling out at least 10 straws of jingle jangle. I rolled my eyes and looked at Penny. "Here Malachi. Got what we're owed?" She asked. "Charlie." He said, Charlie handed the money to me and whispered to me. "Didn't peg ya as a drug dealer Gem." I didn't answer him and turned to Penny. "Can we go now?"

"Yes Emerald we can." Penny said. We headed for the door and I looked back at Charlie. He was looking down at the ground and twisting and playing with his fingers. "Hey Em it's raining hurry up before I leave you here." Penny called. I kept looking at Penny and turned around. "Coming." I said softly.