Prologue - The Birth of Black Reaper

A slim man with middle-split hair and dark blue haired young man enter the orphanage. In there, the only thing they see are gloomy and sad children who lost their parents because of ghouls. Itsuki Marude show his investigator identity to the caretaker and talks to her meanwhile his partner wandering the place.

He keep observing the children but he found no one who catch his attention therefore he goes outside and he sees a kid sits on the swing while reading a book. The dark blue haired man approaches the kid and he looks into his eyes. The kid's eyes are sharp and he can feel that he is a calm person.

"Kid, do you like books? Hmm..you are reading the difficult one at such young age.", says the dark blue haired man.

"Mmm.. I like reading books, my father collected a lot of book and he taught me how to read difficult words.", replies the little boy.

The blue haired man sits on the swing beside him and they spend their time in silent. Hearing nothing from him, the young man glances the little boy.

"...You are not crying like the others. Do you not feel sad?"

"...I am sad but nothing will change if I keep crying."

"I see..you are interesting. By the way, do you want become my pupil?"

The boy stop reading and he looks at the young man with a surprised expression. The young man stands up and kneels in front of him.

"My name is Arima Kisho, a ghoul investigator. My job is to exterminate ghouls so human can live in peace. My job is dangerous but if you become strong, you can save people who you cherish. How about it?"

The little boy thinks for a while then he nods which makes Arima gives him a faint smile.

"By the way, kid. What is your name?", asks Arima as he extends his hand to the little boy. 

"...Kaneki Ken.", says the boy then he reaches Arima's hand. 

Both of them holding hands until they enter the building, Marude looks shock when he hear that Arima wants to bring the child home with him. Initially Marude feels objected with Arima's decision and explain the risks of bring a kid with him but he keep insisting to bring Kaneki home. Arima also tell them that they don't need worry about the money and the education. Itsuki gives up and let him adopt the little boy. Arima offers his family name but Kaneki chooses not to change his family name and Arima okay with it. 

After he take care of the documents, Arima bring him to his house. His house is very clean and tidy for a man who lives alone. Kaneki sees several novel books on the bookshelves then Arima leads him to a room on the second floor. It's design is really simple and there are two bookshelves. Then Arima goes downstairs and Kaneki sees him is taking out two cup noodles from the cabinet.

"Arima-san.. By any chance, you can't cook?", asks Kaneki as he stares at Arima.

Arima stays quiet then he nods while he is still holding the cup noodles. Little Kaneki checks the rice cooker, fridge, and cabinets then he collect all of the ingredients and makes omelettes. 

"Thanks for the food.", say both of them. Arima eats it and he admits his cooking is good. Both of them eat in silence and Arima stares at the little boy. After they finish their dinner, Arima cleans up the dishes and Kaneki helps him. After they finish cleaning, Arima tells Kaneki to wait at the guest room.

Kaneki sees Arima goes to the storage room and he takes out a silver briefcase. He opens the briefcase and little Kaneki startled when he sees a real sword for the first time.

"This is quinque, a weapon which made from ghoul's kagune. Kagune is ghoul's predatory organ and they use it as their weapon. You..have seen one, right?"

Kaneki remembers his past; the tentacle things thrust his mother's stomach. He clenches his little hand then he nods, he stares at the sword then looks at Arima.

"You say this weapon is made from ghoul's kagune. So, in other words..you kill them and make them as your weapon to kill their race, am I right?"

"You are a smart kid. That's right, we kill them and turn them into weapon. We can't equip normal weapon to kill them, so quinque is the only thing that we can use to hurt them. You will use this when you grow up and for now-"

Arima stops speaking as he sees Kaneki is trembling and his eyes looks terrified.

"Are you afraid?", asks Arima to Kaneki.

"A-Arima-san, are you not afraid? To kill, I mean."

"...I become ghoul investigator at fifteen years old and as ghoul investigator I have to fight in order to protect human. When we face ghouls and we don't want to fight, we will die and we can't save any single person; if we choose to fight, we will live and we can save another life. In short, it is kill or be killed. To lose someone important to you..it is really painful."

Arima pats his heat gently, Kaneki understands well what Arima means. He already loses both of his parents and he is right, it is painful.

"Well, then. I will be straight forward, to be investigator is not easy. If you are weak, you will be killed but if you are strong, you will live and keep protecting human. Now what's your decision? Will you fight ghouls with me or..?"

Kaneki lifts his head and Arima sees his answer through his eyes which makes Arima gives a faint smile.

"I will teach you about ghouls first and then..be prepared, Ken."

_____________________________________