Chapter 9 - Jealousy

-Four Months Later-
Kaneki was being promoted to first-rank investigator; Saiko and Shirazu become rank 2 investigator; Urie and Mutsuki become rank 1 investigator. After the promotion event, all of the investigators enjoy the buffet party. Akira meets Kaneki and she asks him about Fueguchi, he tells her that she is really cooperative with investigation but every time he talks about this topic with Akira, she always nervous.

Kaneki headed to cochlea at 23rd ward while bringing some books and he meets Fueguchi Hinami (a.k.a Yotsume) to question her more about Aogiri. After he finishes, he gives her some books and she thanked him. Looking at her attitude, he becomes curious about her.

"Fueguchi, why did you help me back then?"

"...I'm not sure, but maybe..I think because of this."

She shows her book to Kaneki from behind the glass, Kaneki sees his notes and her drawing.

"Since I was little, I never go to school also both of my parents have limited knowledge about letters so I learn Japanese by myself. Until now, I still don't know how to read these marked words. That day, I was going to retrieve it but I saw you scribble on it. This is the first time that human teaches me about new words. I..feel so happy."

Only from the notes I write on her book, she feels so happy, huh? If hearing her story, ghoul isn't different from human.

"By the way, I have a question for you. At that time, why didn't you take my book and show it to your comrades? You know it's precious to me, you can use it to lure me and you can work together to catch me. But why you didn't do it?"

...I wonder why too.

-Aogiri's Base-
After Hinami got arrested, Ayato always insists to help Hinami from cochlea but Tatara as his superior rejects it. The Owl laughs and it makes Ayato feels annoyed about him.

"Ayato-kun..she went to save Black Reaper, it's her own fault being captured by CCG. Ah, by the way..Rabbit appeared again and she makes hole in my stomach. You know her, right?"

Ayato glares at him and Takizawa approaches Ayato to whisper something to him.

"Then, why don't you beg Rabbit to help Hina-chan?"

Before Ayato ambush him, Tatara stops him and tells him to find another replacement. Ayato who still mad about it asks him whether he thinks his dead friends as replacement pieces and Tatara answers 'yes' immediately. The young ghoul spends his time alone, reminiscing when he met Hinami for the first time. 

Hinami can't stop crying since she came to Aogiri and Ayato complains at her. Hinami laughs and she told him that he really similar with Touka, shortly after she broke into tears again and told him that she really misses her. Since Rabbit killed first class Mado Kureo, she went missing and no one know about her whereabouts. Even her classmates believe that she already dead but only her best friend who still believe that Touka is still alive.

...Sis, what happened to you for three years?

-CCG Headquarter-
On the next morning, Kaneki and his students have joint meeting related to Rosewald family who involved with the mass kidnapping on auction raid. Special class Ui Koori; Kijima Shiki along with his assistant, Furuta Nimura; Hirako's squad; Fura Taishi and Ihei Hairu; also quinckes will work together in this mission since the Rosewald family is well-trained ghoul.

After the meeting, Kaneki brings Shirazu to pick his new quinque. When Shirazu is going to pick it up, he was haunted by Nutcracker's last word and throw up. Kaneki drags him out from the room and buys a drink for him.

"It's normal you throw up when you see the quinque of a ghoul you exterminated for the first time.", says Kaneki as he handed a coffee can to Shirazu.

"Kaneki-san, did you-?"

"I didn't.", answers Kaneki immediately without let Shirazu finishes his line. While Shirazu is drinking, he gets a message and reads it. Seeing a little smile from Shirazu, Kaneki feels a little bit relief.

"I'm glad you seem a little bit happy now.", says Kaneki while drinking his coffee.

"Ah, yes. Touka-san often giving me some advice about coffees."

"Touka? Is she your friend?"

"Yes, she is the :Re waitress."

After hearing it, Kaneki drops his coffee can and it spills everywhere. Shirazu startled and looks at his mentor.

"...Shirazu, since when did you have her name and her contact?"

"Uh..since Christmas?"

Suddenly Shirazu become quiet and realizes that he forgot to inform about her to Kaneki. He doesn't dare to face his mentor since he can fell the menacing aura from him.

"Eh..I see. It's been four months you become friend with her. I'm happy(?)"

"K-Kaneki-san, wait. Don't get the wrong idea. Touka-san is my friend, no more than that!! I asked her contact before I gave you the coffee machine and coffee beans!"

Kaneki remembers about the gift that he received from his students on the new year. Even so, Shirazu still feel his menacing aura for five minutes. In his mind, he keeps hoping that someone will help him out from there and suddenly he gets an idea.

"Kaneki-san, I will send her contact to you.", asks Shirazu as he shows him her contact information.

"Who said I want it? It's not like I'm jealous or something.", says Kaneki as he gives Shirazu a fake smile.

No, you're jealous Kaneki-san, you're totally jealous. It's all written on your face and by the way..your smile is creeping me out.

"A-Ah! Kaneki-san, you like coffee, right? Why don't you talk about it with her directly?!"

Kaneki stares at him for three minutes then he takes out his phone.

"Well, if you insist.."

Shirazu send her contact to his mentor and after Kaneki receives it, he can't stop staring at his phone.

...I-I thought I will be killed! But well, I guess he fells happy now.

-At :Re Cafe-
While Touka is cleaning the glasses, she gets a message notification. She doesn't recognize the number and she read the message.

Good afternoon Yomo Touka-san my name is Kaneki Ken, Shirazu's and Mutsuki's mentor.
Shirazu gave me your number, he told me I can discuss about coffee with you.
I hope you don't mind to chat with me.

Nice to meet you.

-Kaneki Ken-

"...What the-?"

_____________________________________