Playing Telephone

"No, Grumps, I'm sure I'll be back by Christmas." I tried to assure my grandfather over the phone as I quickly packed a carryon bag in my apartment while simultaneously typing away at my laptop to check out the information Fury's assistant sent me and setting up a last minute ticket on a plane to Miami, "If worst goes to worst I'll maybe be able to be there by lunchtime on Christmas day, I hope."

I listened to him, my phone crunched between my ear and shoulder as I scrabbled to snatch up a handful of underwear to toss into my bag, "I know Grams isn't going to like it, but this is a big deal. If it wasn't I wouldn't even consider letting it interfere with our plans... you know how Grams is about plans even more than I do... no, no... yes, I have her secret surprise gift! I ordered them weeks ago when I had a momentary break... no I'm not working too hard, but- no that's not the point. The point is that our tickets to the Phantom of the Opera production are set for February. I just wish that it was closer to Christmas, but what can you do?"

I smiled to myself as I shoved my laptop into my bag as well, winding up its charging cord, "Yeah, I was thinking you could print them out and wrap them up in a box, maybe weigh it down somehow so she has absolutely no idea what's inside... well, I was planning to do it myself but as it is... Oh, well, do you want me to bring you back a souvenir from Miami?" I teased chuckling at Grumps as he complained that I with my young bones and excellent circulation was the one to be going to the tropics in the middle of winter, but then my laughter halted as I lifted my new combat suit from its box. This suit meant a lot of responsibility... meant that my job and my life were going to become a lot more dangerous. Lowering it into my bag, I folded it neatly, covering it with a few business-like blouses and skirts. "No, a souvenir is not going to be your gift and I don't want you hinting at anything Grams has picked out for me... Why would I get coal?... I have been good this year! Yes I have! You're the one who- oh we're not bringing that up again!... I was on pain killers and had a huge scab on my side, can you blame me?" I chuckled, listening to him a few more minutes before I caught sight of the clock, "Look, Grumps, tell Grams that I love her and that I'll be safe. I'll keep you posted when I can as to how things are going and hopefully I'll see you before you start carving the Christmas turkey, okay? Okay. Yes. Love you."

I sighed, staring at my phone in my hands before I pulled out the number I had scribbled down. It rang a few times before going to voicemail. Groaning I recalled, mumbling "Pick up, pick up, please pick up."

Just as I thought it was going to send me to voicemail again someone picked up the phone, "Stark residence. May I ask who's speaking?"

Whoever was speaking it was not Tony. The voice was feminine and she seemed rather put out, stressed. Maybe she was a housekeeper or something in Stark's home. Clearing my throat, "Hello. I'm Agent Penelope Copper of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I wo-"

"S.H.I.E.L.D.?" She interrupted.

"Yes, Ma'am. I'm calling on behalf of the director. May I speak to Anthony Stark please?"

"What does S.H.I.E.L.D. want with him?" she asked, "Not that I know anything about S.H.I.E.L.D..."

"I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm not at liberty to say. I need to speak to Sta-"

"Whatever you have to say to him you can say to me since I'm the only one in this house with any sense. My name is Pepper Potts and I am CEO of Stark Industries and his girlfriend."

"Oh, Miss Potts." I hesitated a moment. If she was at the house, like living there with Stark, she needed to leave too, "Fine. Miss Potts, because of Mr. Stark's broadcasted threat on the Mandarin; S.H.I.E.L.D. is sending me to escort the pair of you to a safe house for his and your protection."