Regret

Who was anyone to say what was right?

I shoved my black heels on, my favorite ones I had bought recently. I was a girl, and even through all the chaos, I never forgot to shop occasionally. I turned in the mirror highly pleased with my vintage looking jeans and gray tank top. I sifted through all my hangers of clothes, settling on a plum sweater to keep me warm, it was oddly cold for springtime.

I couldn't break myself from my overwhelming anxiety, I was so sick of feeling like I knew what was right for me, only to be thrown off course because of other's opinions. It was very hard to live your life when everyone wanted to dictate it. And it honestly was waning on my nerves; I hated the feeling of guilt or containment. I hated it even more when I really was happy about what I wanted.

I lifted Oliver from the floor, making sure his jacket was zipped. And headed downstairs, Oliver was content with my planned trip. I snagged the keys from the kitchen counter, hurrying out the door before anyone was awake.

"We are going to see someone very important today." I informed Oliver as I buckled him securely into his overpriced carseat.

Getting in on my side, I felt similar to a prisoner trying to make a subtle escape. If Evan knew, I had taken off without anyone he would lose it. Taking Oliver along for the ride was probably the worst idea I ever had. But I saw no harm in where I was going. And I also had my gift on my side. I wasn't just a simple girl anymore; I could fix the worst case scenario every time.

It wasn't that far of a drive through town before I came to a stop at the cemetery.

"Come on baby; let's go see your uncle." I said pulling Oliver out of the car. I grabbed my purse making my way to Marcus' tombstone. Four away from the path, tucked neatly next to family that I never met. I sat down placing Oliver in my lap, running my hands across the manicured grass.

"I know, who'd of thought I'd show up here. It's been a really long time." I babbled. "I needed some peace; my mind is going crazy with just about everything. And also I wanted to take Oliver to see his uncle Marcus."

Oliver crawled across the grass escaping my grasp on him. I looked around finding a lonely camera guy snapping quick photos of us, This was not the fame I ever wanted in life. Oliver made his way to the tombstone lifting himself up, he held on staring at the foreign object in front of him.

"This is your Uncle Marcus Oli. He was the best, and if you're anything like him you will be amazing." I insisted leaning back, my elbows digging into the dirt. I always felt right being anywhere near him. Marcus near or far rested parts of me that were uncontrollable at times. I could breathe, I could be Eve.

I closed my eye for a second conjuring up the last time I really laughed with him. It was almost impossible to land on one. I remembered going skateboarding with him, all his friends gathered across the parking lot rooting him on. Marcus threatened them all to keep away from me. He knew I was turning into a teenager, and he didn't want his friends trying anything. He had fallen and busted both his knees; blood trickled down his legs, but he was determined to make the jump. I never stopped laughing or smiling watching his expression. His smile so big and bright, he was engrossed in everything in life. To the point that even pain would not stop him from what he set his mind on.

I wondered sometimes if Marcus was still with us all, if he would have found a girlfriend. Never had he dated anyone seriously. Girls were completely infatuated with Marcus, most his good friends were girls. But he never romantically involved himself with anyone. He never gave himself the chance to love someone as I did Evan.