• Chapter Twenty Seven •

"How have you been feeling, Haeyoung?" Doctor Kim asked as she began her examination.

"I've been a little fatigue but I figured it's probably normal and morning sickness seemed to have lessen," Haeyoung answered, trying to relax.

"I'm glad to hear that," Doctor Kim said as she nodded her head. She showed Haeyoung the gel she applied to the ultrasound machine before she placed it on Haeyoung's stomach, "Are you two ready to take a peek at your baby?"

Haeyoung felt Jungkook squeeze her hand with excitement as he replied, "Yes!"

Haeyoung turned her head sideways and glanced at him. She saw that he was beaming with joy as he moved his chair closer to her. His eyes met her and his smile widen from ear to ear as he reached over and brushed her hair out of her face.

She realized that this would be his first time seeing the life they created together. He wasn't given this opportunity to go through when she was pregnant with Junho and it was a mistake she regretted the most. But now this baby was going to give them many first time moments together that they had missed with Junho.

"Haeyoung?" Doctor Kim called out to her.

"Huh? Yes?" Haeyoung answered, pulling her eyes away from Jungkook and glancing back at Doctor Kim.

"Are you ready?" Doctor Kim asked.

"Yes, I'm ready," Haeyoung said as she felt her heart leaped out with excitement.

With Jungkook holding on to her hand, Haeyoung turned to the focus on the monitor beside her. The next thing she saw was a beautiful baby moving around within her belly. Her heart skipped a beat to the beautiful sight of her baby as tears began to well up in her eyes.

"Oh, honey, look at our baby," Haeyoung whispered breathless, covering her mouth with her free hand in awe.

"Our baby is so beautiful," Jungkook said, not able to take his eyes away from the monitor screen. Then all of sudden Jungkook held his breath as he softly whispered with awestruck, "Wait. Do you hear that?"

Haeyoung's breath hitched as she nodded her head, "Is that the sound of our baby's heartbeat?"

Haeyoung and Jungkook both turned towards Doctor Kim. She smiled widely, "Yes, that very faint thump you both are hearing is the sound of your baby's heartbeat."

Right at that moment, Haeyoung and Jungkook's eyes met and tears gushed down both of their cheeks. Jungkook leaned over and gently kissed her lips. Then leaned his forehead against hers, "I can't believe that I missed this moment with you when you were pregnant with Junho. Was it as beautiful as this?"

"Of course it was," Haeyoung softly whispered, nodding her head and watched Jungkook's eyes turned to sorrow. She placed her hand on his cheek and softly caressed it with her thumb as she murmured, "But you know what? It's okay. We both made a mistake and missed sharing that special moment together, but you're here now with me, with us. That's all that matters, honey."

~~~

On the drive home, Jungkook couldn't stop glancing at Haeyoung every second that he could.  He grinned like a fool in love, taking in the beautiful glow from his wife. She sat in the passenger seat as she admired the ultrasound photos that Doctor Kim printed out for them with one hand gently caressing her baby bump.

Her eyes sparkled as she talked about how excited she was for next month when they would get to find out the sex of the baby. He could see the eagerness building inside her as she dicussed different ideas of how she would decorate the spare room and turn it to a baby room.