Chapter 29

Chapter 29

*Chaz's POV*

I had Nicolai search the upstairs area while I check out the basket. I opened the metal door and walked down the creaking stairs. As I had suspected, a medical room was set up and Avery was right there on the table. The doctor was about to start cutting on her head until I yelled, "Stop!"

He threw the scalpel at which cut through my hand and knocked the gun out of it. I grabbed my hand and he attacked me. We started fist fighting. The more we fought, the more pissed off I was becoming. I finally hit him hard enough to knock him out. I walked over to the sink and rinsed my hand. After wrapping it up tight, I walk over and start I unstrapping Avery. I took off my jacket and wrapped in around her before picking her up. I carried her back up the stairs and to the last place I saw Jason.

I opened the door to see Nicolai doing CPR on Jason. This boy just can't quit dying. Nicolai looked up at me.

"I finally got a light pulse, but he's lost a lot of blood. We need to get him to a hospital."

I nodded. He lifted Jason up and started out the door. Our men had already taken out most of the other guys so it was safe to walk out. We put Jason and Avery in the back of the car and headed to a hospital.

They were taking straight back in the emergency room. Avery was checked out but they wanted to hold her overnight for observation. Jason had to have surgery to get the bullets out. I'm waiting on the news from his surgery.

"Company of Jason Smith?" A nurse shouted. I jumped up. We used smith as a code name. Jason has so many identities I'm surprised I know who he is at all.

"Yes, ma'am?" I spoke to her kindly.

"Mr. Smith is in a coma. I'm not sure when he will wake up but when he does, everything should be fine. The coma is only from losing to much blood so fast, his heart stopping, and the lead from the bullet."

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you."

She lead me to his room. He looks peaceful. I bet he's thinking about Avery. I know he loves her. Honestly, I'm glad to have my best friend back. He has a heart now. He may still be cold but at least he is more caring.

~

It's been 24 hours and Avery was released. She wanted to come see Jason. I pushed her wheelchair into the room and right beside his bed. She looks up at me. "Is he going to be okay?" She has tears in her eyes.

"Yeah, A, he is going to be fine. It's not the first time he's died."

She laughed. "That's not funny."

"But you laughed?"

"It's funny but it isn't funny." She hit my shoulder. "You know what I mean?"

"Well, I see you haven't lost much of your strength." I rubbed my arm.

She laughed. "You're suppose to be in a gang so why are you such a baby?"

I stuck my tongue out at her like a five year old. Avery is one of my best friends. She started as some stranger that Jason was stalking. She was that hardheaded, strong willed girl who couldn't stand Jason. She instantly warmed up to me. Now, I'd be lost without her. She was the first to accept me being me. I know it had to be awkward walking in on Nicolai and I, but she handled it like a pro. I'll always be thankful for her.