forty-three.

"How is she?" I ask Jasmine.

Zane and I are now in Minnesota and at the house that I grew up in.

"She's gone from stage 3 to stage 4.. She's only got about a month left.." Jasmine replies, holding back tears.

I hug Jasmine as tears spilled from my eyes.

"Where is she?" I ask.

"Upstairs, in your old room." Jasmine answers, letting us inside. Zane grabs my hand and holds it, our fingers intertwined.

We walk up the stairs with Zane following me, and we get up to my old room.

I see the door open, with my mom, sitting on my old bed.

"Mom," I call her, causing her to look up.

She gets up from my bed and walks over to me, hugging me tightly.

"Mom, this is Zane.. He's my boyfriend," I tell her.

She looks at Zane after letting me go, and asks to speak to him in private. So, I went back downstairs to spend some time and catch up with Jasmine.

Zane's POV

"She really liked 5 Seconds of Summer, huh?" I ask Maya's mom, looking around at all of the posters in her old room.

"Oh, yes. She dedicated her whole life to them, she loved them more than anything in this world.." Her mom looks around, smiling.

"Now, Zane.. Maya has gone through a lot, she's lost a lot of people in life and she's about to lose me.. I just want you to promise me one thing," She adds.

"Anything," I reply.

"I need you to take care of her.. Because when I'm gone, the only family that she'll have left is Jasmine.. And when a family member dies.. She shuts down and shuts everyone out.. And I want you to know that it isn't your fault. And all you have to do is keep pushing to be there for her and never get angry with her if she doesn't open up.." She said.

"I promise you, Ms. Leone, that I will always love and support your daughter in every way possible.. I love her so much and she means the whole world to me," I reply.

"Please, call me Sheri. You're a part of the family now.. Maya has been waiting for someone like you her entire life, Zane. And I'm so glad that she finally has you," She says.

"Thank you, Sheri. That means a lot," I reply.

"Take care of her.. And as for Jasmine, if you're comfortable, she needs to be taken care of too.        Maya is her legal guardian after I die," She adds.

"I will forever take care of them both, I promise you," I reply.

"You're a good kid," Sheri said.

I smile at her and she hugs me.

I wish I would've met Maya sooner.