Prologue

Cheryl

I am absolutely exhausted. Every part of me just wants to go home, but I know I can't. I've promised my Mum that I'd come and give it a try, even though I highly doubt it will work. I sigh as I climb the stairs and enter a small waiting room. The woman at reception looks kind, with long hair and glasses, but her smile feels patronising. It takes everything in me to smile at her politely. 'Cheryl Co- Tweedy' I stutter. It's been months but I still can't get used to saying my old surname. The receptionist looks at her computer screen and tells me to take a seat. I sit down and look around nervously, my leg jittering up and down impatiently.

'Is this your first time here?'

I look up and meet the eyes of a girl. She looks about the same age as me, with brown hair and a cute smile.

'Yeah' I reply timidly, looking away, feeling awkward.

'It's not as scary as it seems, I promise'

'Thank you..'

I go to to ask her name, but the receptionist cuts in, saying that Kimberley could go through. The stands up and leaves, smiling at me as she does so. I can't help but think Kimberley has a wonderful smile.

*****

Kimberley

I leave the building feeling overwhelmed with tiredness. My counselling sessions always tire me out. I start the walk home, and I find myself thinking about her again. Cheryl. We've only spoken a few times the past few weeks, but I'm sure I know her from somewhere. I asked her last week if she was famous, and she laughed at me and then looked a bit shocked when she realised I was being serious. Guessing by her accent, she must be famous in England, but I haven't been back home in so long, I'm clueless.

I keep trying to, but I can't seem to get her out of my head. Am I getting a crush on her? No, I can't. She is probably famous, and definitely gorgeous and I know that I stand no chance of being with her.

I go into my flat, taking my earphones out and crawling into bed still dressed. It's only 8pm but I am so worn out, I fall asleep instantly.