Chapter 23

Cheryl

Suddenly, I see Kimba run past me and down the street, the rain pouring down and soaking her through. I leap out of the car, not knowing what to do. I consider going to ask her Mum what happened, but I remember that she doesn't know her daughter's friends with me yet.

I quickly lock the car and run after her, trying to keep up with her. I feel sick with worry.

"Kimba! Kim! Wait!" I yell after her, but she pays no attention.

Car horns beep as she carries on running through a busy road, not flinching or even noticing what she's doing. I hold my breath, but she manages to make it across, as do I.

We reach an old alleyway and a railway bridge, but instead of crossing the bridge, she slides through the broken fence, and begins walking alongside the tracks. I hurry after her.

"Kim! What are you doing?"

The rain has slowed down now, gently pattering down and she turns to me. Her mascara is in tracks down her cheeks and she looks broken.

"We used to come here as kids" she says quietly, and I sigh, relieved that there are no sinister intentions of her coming here.

She turns abruptly and continues walking, so I just follow her quietly, waiting for her to open up and praying that she'll be okay.

*****

Kimberley

I continue walking as the memories begin flooding back.

When Amy first started secondary school, she was bullied, and it was here that she opened up to me. I promised her that I would make them leave her alone, and I did.

Before she was old enough, I would come here and smoke with my friends. And when I lost my friends, she would come with me, and we'd sit and talk, and she never told Mum.

As I got older, I lost practically all of my friends, but it didn't matter to me, because I had her. She was my little rock, and the three years difference between us made no difference to either of us, we were still best friends.

Shortly before Dad died we came here and got slightly tipsy. It was fun; we were drunk enough to have a giggle, but still sober enough to be sensible around the trains. Mum would have been so mad if she knew we hung around here, she'd say it was too dangerous. I remember that night, in my tipsy state, I held both of her hands. We sang Whitney Houston 'I Will Always Love You' to each other, giggling like children. I kissed her on the forehead and promised her that I would do just that. I would always love her. And that drunken confession was probably the last time I ever told her that.

The tears are uncontrollable now, and I just want Cheryl to hug me. I go to turn around, but on the fence up ahead I see things attached to it. That's where we used to sit, and I get angry that someone's put something there.

I hurry over, but as I approach it I slow down. There are bouquets of flowers and cards stuck to the fence and on the floor. I stare. A train goes past.

"Kim?"

I can't answer her. I go over to some wilted roses. They look about 2 weeks old. I open the card attached.

Amy Walsh. You were my light in the dark, but little did we know that you needed a light too. So sad to be here without you, I'll love you and miss you forever. Always in my heart xxx

I read it twice. Three times. Four.

I can feel Cheryl's hand on my shoulder. I can tell she's read it too, and she knows what's going on. I can't take it all in. I slowly go over the facts in my head.

Amy is dead. She died here. Recently. At the place I last said I loved her. But how? We were always so sensible around the trains, how could she get hit? I read the line in the card again.

but little did we know that you needed a light too.

And that's when I fall to the floor, into Cheryl's arms as she holds me.

Because that's when I realise that Amy's death wasn't an accident. She planned it.