Chapter 39

Cheryl

I sigh as I put my suitcase down and shut the front door. I walk into the front room and flop down on the sofa, Kimba following.

The flight was long and tiring, and I'm so glad to be back home, in the familiar surroundings of Kimba's flat. I'm also a bit concerned about Kimba. She's been really quiet and sleepy throughout the whole journey, and it's making me worry.

"I'm so glad to be home" I say, and look over at Kimba, who's fallen asleep on the sofa. She'd only sat down a minute ago.

I shake her gently until she wakes up again.

"Are you okay babe?" I ask.

"Really tired" she moans, rubbing her eyes.

"Is that all?"

"Think I'm coming down with something, I'm not feeling great" She admits.

I pick her up in my arms, holding her like a baby. She squeals, wrapping her arms around my neck and resting her head on my shoulder. I carry her in to the bedroom and lay her down on the bed.

"Go to sleep babe, I'll wake you up for dinner" I tell her, and she takes her clothes off. When she's just in her underwear, I tuck the duvet around her and kiss her on the head.

"Shout if you need anything. Sweet dreams" I smile, and she pecks me on the lips. I leave her curled up snug, and go back in to the living room. I begin to unpack our cases, sorting out the washing and putting things away, keeping quiet so I don't wake Kimba.

****

Kimberley

I wake up with a stretch and a yawn, slowly opening my eyes. It's just starting to get dark, and I groan as my head starts banging. When I breathe in I have trouble, my nose blocked. I sigh; trust me to go to a sunny country and come back with a cold!

I look at the clock and see that I've been asleep for a couple of hours, and decide to get up. I climb out of bed and pull on a large pink, fluffy dressing gown. It's actually Cheryl's, but I love wearing it.

When I go into the living room, Cheryl's on the sofa with her head in her hands. The suitcases are half unpacked and there are clothes all over the floor.

"Babe? What's wrong?" I ask.

Her head shoots up, and she looks stressed.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No.. what"s the matter?" I ask again, sitting beside her on the sofa and pulling her into my embrace.

"My management called.. basically saying if I don't go for a meeting in a couple of days, they have to drop me. This isn't a planned break, and I'm not recording or promoting, so they're within their rights. It's just stressful" she sighs.

"How can they do that? Can't they be more understanding?"

"It's fair though. If I worked at a hairdressers for instance, it's like me just leaving without booking holiday time. Even though I might have my reasons, they could be hiring other artists that are going to make them money.. do you understand?"

I nod, still frustrated at how unfair it was.

"So what are you going to do?" I ask.

"I'm not sure yet. I don't know what to do really. I don't want to be dropped, but at the same time I know I can't go back to London and be who I was. I've been so happy these past few months over here, I don't want to go back. I'll do the work from over here, do another album, that's fine. But I can't go there, I wouldn't be able to tour or anything. Unless they can sort it so I can do everything from over here.. I guess they'll have to drop me." she says sadly.

"But.. that's your career? Are you sure about this?"

"Yes. It might be my career, but ut isn't worth it in the end. I can't be over there, I can't deal with it. I'd rather be happy and have music as a hobby, than have it as my career and be miserable"

"So when's the meeting?"

"Not tomorrow, the day after. It's about 2 hours away, I know the place. Thank god they agreed to come over here to meet with me, so I don't have to go to London again. I'll probably have to stay over at a hotel for the night, will that be okay with you?" she asks, and my heart sinks a little.

"Yeah, should be fine" I smile falsely.

"I'm gonna miss you" she says, going to kiss me, but I stop her.

"Babe, I'm ill, you probably don't want to do that" I giggle.

"Don't care" she says defiantly, kissing me anyway.

"Can you get me some painkillers please babe? I have a massive headache" I ask, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Fine" she sighs, getting up and rooting around in her bag until she finds some.

"Here you go. You sure you'll be okay on your own?"

"Yes! Chill babe, it's only a cold. What's the worst that could happen?" I chuckle.

What's the worst that could happen?