Chapter Thirty-Eight

•Ellie's Point of View•

January 28th, 2014

I looked to my left, Sam was sat beside me in the dimly lit gymnasium. There was a spotlight in the middle of it, where the students with their guitars would be sat, I had been notified that no matter what, a Arrows or a Goulding, Taylor would be going before the fist intermission. Out of the two classes only thirty-five of the students showed up, a surprisingly low number, but that meant for less time Sam would have to spend in here.

I still hadn't of been told which song Taylor was preforming. On the papers everybody recieved as they came in, Taylor's was the only anonymous song. I had a feeling she had asked personally for this so she could surprise me before I left on my plane to Cologne, already a day late.

The anticipation was growing as more people filled in. At least a audience of one hundred. For these teens who were performing, this would be nerve-wracking. When I was Taylor's age, I would have never done something like this.

Sam and I were sat around the middle of the chairs. Not trying to drag any attention from these kids; who were probably back stage shitting themselves about having to come on any minute now and perform.

Taylor had mentioned that these past couple weeks had gone good. When she came home the first day after winter break flustered as hell, having realized people; especially teenagers, knew of the news we had made.

After that it wasn't as bad. Taylor seemed a lot less stressed when she got back home everyday. Before her winter break, she always came home going straight upstairs to clear her head for an hour or so, sometimes nearly two hours. Now, she'll come and converse with Sam and I in the living room as soon as she comes in. Maybe it's due to how much our relationships have changed, I couldn't care. I just know us three are all in a good place right now.

As the room is further dimmed and I become nervous. I'm not sure as to why I'm nervous; I know Taylor and these other students will all be brilliant. Maybe it's because this will be the first time I've heard Taylor play a whole song on guitar. Sam informed me he believes she'll be singing as well, so this will also be the first proper time I've heard her sing. It's a happy nervous in the pit of my stomach, or maybe I'm just proud? I don't know anymore and I'm going with all of the above.

Sam places a hand on my thigh, obviously hoping to calm me down. Instead, I feel even more giddy like an infatuated school girl with bloody fireworks going off inside of me.

I watch as the thirty-five students walk out into their alphabetical order. Taylor has been put down as a Goulding as I watch the seats of the front row on the stage be filled with no sign of Taylor. I then watch as Taylor walks out smiling largely as even with a spotlight, she notices Sam and I instantaneously, her smile directed to us. She sits on the second seat from the far right in the second row.

As I watch as the remaining twenty-three students walk out, I notice Hannah, ends up exactly behind Taylor. I don't know how that happened, but Taylor must feel awkward about it. I notice the devilish smirk on Hannah's face, and although I believe I've only seen her once before, I have a feeling she's bound to do something Taylor nor I will like.

I can see Taylor gritting her teeth as she knows exactly who's around her. Having obviously practiced their pecking order before, she knows Hannah's behind her. I can see Hannah smirking as she talks to a girl beside her making snide comments about something. I notice Taylor shift uncomfortably in her chair, and I know the snide comments are about her.

Thankfully the two teachers walk out and the gymnasium goes silent. The teachers thank everybody for coming and supporting the minimal amount of students that actually showed up. They're surprised of how many students failed to show up. Taylor barely wanted to come tonight. Sam and myself shoved her out the door and she had to stop herself from crying as Sam drove. Giving her no other decision. Sam had given Taylor a small pep talk as well, and I know Taylor had done it because of whatever Sam had said.