Turbulence

The sun creeps through the window shades of the master bedroom. Whit can hear movement in the room as she flutters her eyes open. She sits up and sees a familiar figure...it's Ashlyn.

"Ash?"

"You wanna tell me something Whit..."

"Huh? What are you doing here..." She says confused. She is just waking up.

"You were never gonna mention to me that our son got into a car accident after doing drugs and severely hurt our daughter? I had to hear it from the deputy who called me last night!? I feel like you're leading this relationship lately Whitney...making crucial decisions without me...I don't like it one bit. I thought we were supposed to be on the same page..."

"We are on the same page, Ashlyn..."

"Oh really...what page is that I'm a little lost. When were you going to tell me about this."

"This morning Ash, it was too late last night."

"The deputy called me Whit...before you did. That hurts."

Whitney takes a breath. "Can you just sit down so we can talk rationally...this is hard for all of us to process..." 

"Yea especially when you just found out from a stranger. Tell me what happened right now..."

Whitney chooses her words carefully.

"Dalton and Jordyn asked me if they could go to the Scutter's house last night, to hang out...Lexie and Jordyn had some English project...I didn't think anything of it. Why would I? Jordyn was with him..."

"Who brought the drugs."

"Jack Scutter's neighbor brought them home from Penn State...Jack paid him for it."

"Did Dalton know about this before going..."

"He says no...I believe him."

"You believe him? Whitney, our son committed a felony...you're saying you trusted him? Even after that one time we found him drinking?"

"I didn't say I trusted him in making the right decision. That he needs to learn."

"Oh and I'm sorry, were we supposed to teach him that?! Like with drinking? Because that obviously didn't work..." Ash cuts off. 

"Ashlyn, just let me finish. I meant that I trust him in telling the truth. He didn't know there would be drugs there. He wouldn't have taken Jordyn, you know that..."

Ash sighs. 

"What are we gonna do...this is absolutely insane."

"When you think about it, although this is bad, we should be glad he's not having sex or even dealing drugs..." 

"How do we know he's not..." Whitney looks stunned at her wife. "...Think about it Whit, he could've been on alcohol and drugs way before we caught him. He needs a serious consequence."

"His license got revoked for 3 months. I think we should make him get a job to pay back the damage of the car." 

"Yea that's good, but who cares about the car. How's Jordyn..."

"Hurting...I hope their relationship isn't totally ruined by this...I'd never forgive myself."

"What did the doctor say."

"That her wrist is broken...fractured in 2 places. She might need surgery, she might not. Only time will tell."

"And her spirits?" 

"Broken...she didn't eat dinner last night. I don't think she'll talk this morning either."

"Did she know Dalton was high..."