Sorry It Had To End Like This

COVID-19 has affected the entire world. For as long as it has been going on though, none of the Harris kids felt like COVID has been that bad to them. But then...overnight, Dalton's whole world changed. 

"All Maryland schools closed," Whitney sighs as she reads the news off her phone this fine morning in bed. 

"What?" Ashlyn asks unbelieved.

"Schools aren't opening again because of the virus," Whitney says in a shaky voice. "...I can't believe this is happening,"

"Dalton..." Ash says under her breath. 

Both women look to each other. They have to tell their oldest son that his senior year is over. 

"I wonder if he knows already," Ash says.

"I kind of hope so," Whitney answers. "...because I really don't have the heart to tell him myself," 

The couple hears their kids downstairs. 

"I guess we better go find out then," 

~~~~~~~~~~

Ashlyn and Whitney come down the stairs holding hands, bracing themselves for what's about to come. They come into the kitchen to see their 7 children looking like the world has just ended. 

Brendan, Noah, and Bryce are quietly eating their cereal, B at the counter, and Noah and Bryce at the kitchen table. Taylor is on her laptop at the table and Jordyn is reading from a textbook at the counter. Jonah walks up to his parents after getting some orange juice from the fridge. Dalton isn't there.

Jonah can already tell what his parents are going to ask. He just nods somberly. They all know.

"Where is he," Ashlyn says softly. 

Jonah also knows the question before it comes from his Mama's mouth. He also knows that its not a question, but an order.

"Backyard," Jonah answers as he nods his head towards the back door. 

Whit and Ash practically run out the door and onto the patio. They see Dalton lying on his back in the middle of their large yard. 

They both walk over to him quietly.

"Hey bud," Whit says quietly as she and her wife sit down next to Dalton. 

He doesn't even answer. He just blurts out his anger. 

"Is this some sort of fucking karma," Dalton cries as he sits up. "...is this for all of the times I've fucked up?" 

Whit and Ash aren't quite sure how to answer that. Of course, it's not his fault.  

"Now you know that's not true," Ash says.

"But why," Dalton yells. "...why the hell now!!!"

Whitney isn't even going to tell Dalton to calm down. She totally understands. 

"It's bad timing for everyone, Dalton," Whit says. "...but it doesn't mean you still can't have a memorable year," 

"How?" Dalton says frustrated. "...I finally got a job to buy a car and now they'd laid me off for 3 months...school was ended so no prom and no graduation. No anything...this hasn't happened to anyone else in the entire fucking world," 

"Your life isn't going to be defined by this bud," Ash consoles. "...thousands of seniors around the world are going through the exact same thing,"

Dalton is quiet for a moment. 

"Is MSU opening in the fall..." 

Another question that Whitney and Ash don't know how to answer.