Chapter 22 - Message

"OW!" Yelled Indigo from across the camp. I felt a message pass through my mind, but I couldn't read it because right then, Light let out an ear-splitting shriek.

"Light!" I cried.

"Help! It hurts, get it of get it off get it off!" She screamed again and tugged at the skyfire on her necklace. I took the necklace off.

"Ow. That hurt." She said, her face pale. Then she fainted. "Uh, Light?" I asked.

"Oh... yeah, I'm okay." She said, waking up.

"What happened?"

"I assume that there was a message from somebody. But I was wearing skyfire. Honestly, I don't know."

"I got a message too." I said. "I'll try to see it."

I opened my mind to the thoughts of everyone, and for the first time in years, agonizing pain shot through my head. I remembered the feeling— it was familiar, even—but it hurt like hell. Then it faded. The worst was the shock before I got used to it.

I couldn't find the message though. "I can't find it." I said.

"What?" Asked Indigo. "That ominous painful thought wave?"

I turned slowly to stare at her. "You can't read minds."

"It definitely wasn't a thought. It was Cascade's voice. She sent us an animus message, probably."

"Oh!" Light cried. "Oh, that was why it hurt. Animus magic was fighting the magic of the skyfire I was wearing. Hey, can I have that back now?" I handed her the skyfire.

"What did the message say, Indigo?" I asked. "Hold on. I'm trying to remember it. I think it said 'Hurricane's keeping me hosted with animus magic.' But that doesn't make sense."

"Hostage. Hurricane's keeping her hostage." Sahara said, coming over from Sunny's body, tears still on her face. "I got the message too."

"I didn't." Stormchaser said with a pretend sad face.

"Well, she clearly wants us to rescue her. I think Cas can help us with that." Light said. Indigo grinned. "Exactly what I was gonna say."

"Okay, Cascade, we'll help you!" Indigo yelled. Immediately it felt kind of hard to breathe. "Uh..."

"Oh gosh, Darkshine!" Sahara said. "You're growing SeaWing gills!"

"Oh shit."