Chapter 40 - The Prophecy

A day after Light and Shine's prophecy, Stormchaser and his brother Foreteller stood in line. Like the other two hundred dragons here, it was because they wanted to hear the prophecy.

But of course, Stormchaser wanted to see Shine and Light. Foreteller was just tagging along. He was excited to meet the royal dragons, because, like his name, two of them could actually see the future.

And so when they got to the front of the line, instead of asking about the prophecy, Stormchaser said, "Hey, we're here to see our friends?"

Queen Glory nodded and pointed to the door on the left. Foreteller ran up to it and knocked.

Light answered, and let them in immediately. "Hi, Light." Greeted Stormchaser as he passed her. "How are you doing?" She asked politely.

"Good, actually. Where's your sister?"

"Which one? She asked, although she already knew.

"Shine." Stormchaser replied.

Light smirked. "Firefly's first word was 'Stormshine.'"

He blushed as red at a tomato. He was about to embarrass himself when Foreteller saved him. "Who are you?"

"I'm Light, Queen Glory's daughter. Who are you?"

Foreteller just shrugged and followed the two of them along a hallway. Soon they arrived at a doorway. Foreteller knocked without even hesitating. The door opened... and Stormchaser's favourite dragon in all of Pyrrhia was the one opening it.

Shine's scales gleamed deep blue and purple, shifting back and forth between all colour of the night sky, like a beautiful, dark RainWing.

Her eyes were the colours of the Star Lights, which were pink and green and blue lights that appeared in the sky when passed spirits accepted another of their kind.  She had silver scales next to her eyes, the marks of a mind reader.

"Oh, uh, hi." She said awkwardly. Foreteller ran up to her. "Are you Darkshine?" He asked, awed.

"Yeah, who are you?" She asked politely.

"I'm Foreteller. My brother Stormchaser talks about you ALL the time."

That was when Stormchaser decided to go die in a hole. But Shine just said, "Oh, that's nice of him... we're pretty good friends."

Light caught his eye. She mouthed, 'friendzoned' and he winced.

"So, how are you?" Shine asked him.

"Good, I guess. How's Firefly?"

"She's great. Umm... do you want to hear the prophecy?" Her eyes were cast down, examining the floor, and then the walls. Avoiding eye contact. Really obviously. Stormchaser couldn't help but be a little hurt.

"YES." Declared Foreteller. Shine took a deep breath. Behind him, so did Light. Then they began to recite together:

"Rebellion.
Murder.
Unfairly blamed.
Cowering dragonets just one year old.
Queens fighting for their thrones.
Families protecting their children.
Everyone hurt and some forever gone."

"Nothing is okay after this fight.
None of the dragons have any more light.
A Queen will make her final stand.
But her life wasn't lost because of land.
7 queens and 7 tribes.
Only 6 of them will survive."

Their voices had become whispers. Stormchaser did NOT like it.

"What if it's your mother?" He worried. Foreteller's eyes were wide and he was shivering.

Now Stormchaser was the one avoiding Shine's eyes as she said, "We can't stop it."