Chapter 35 - Princess

Darkshine, Stormchaser, and Light (Who felt very much like a third wheel right then) were sitting, bored, on the steps of Queen Glory's hut, babysitting Firefly,  when a SeaWing messenger crash landed on the ground in front of them.

"OW!" She yelled, and then looked at them. "Princesses Firefly, Lightshine and Darkshine. Where is your mother?"

"Umm... in her hut. See the long lineup? You have to wait for your turn." Light explained. She looked alarmed. "This is news she'll want to hear."

"Urgent line, right to the usual line, and if it isn't, I suggest you get in the normal one. See, she can throw you in prison or in the quicksand for skipping the line." Shine said. The messenger rushed off, calling over her shoulder, "Princess Cascade is over there!"

They had barely glanced in that direction when Cascade flipped neatly down from the branches above them to land directly in front of Stormchaser. "Hey," She said. "Eavesdropping time?"

Firefly glanced up and nodded, seeming delighted, and so Light, Shine and Stormchaser agreed to do some eavesdropping.

They tiptoed over to the window, where they could hear the Queen's voice clearly. Firefly seemed to be the best at it, walking quieter than quiet and then lifting herself noiselessly to the window.

"—what is so urgent that it couldn't wait another THREE DAYS to tell me at Jade Mountain Academy?"

"Your Majesty—"

"Spit it out, Auklet."

"Anemone!" Cascade went rigid as stone, and almost fell to the ground, fifty feet below. "She didn't." She whispered.

"What about her?"

"Challenged... Coral. And they will fight in a few days."

———————————

"Why did it have to be Aunt Anemone? I want to be Queen someday, but I DON'T want to kill Anemone!" Cas complained.

"Why, exactly, are you fine with killing Coral?" Darkshine demanded.

"She's old, okay! And Coral is horrible, although she got better. She actually remembered Octopus's name yesterday, do you believe it?"

"Should I... not believe it?"

"You should be extremely impressed. Anyway, if Anemone wins, Summer and I can be dual Queens ruling two tribes." Cascade said.

"Why does Anemone have to win first?" Asked Light.

"Because she's marrying Tamarin."

"Oooooh." Stormchaser nodded. "You know, Tidepool and Cinder are going to Jade Mountain this year. Is Firefly going?"

"Nope. She's a year old, she has maybe two more years until she goes. I can't wait." Light explained.

"Tidepool's two. He's only going because Tsunami is teaching this year, and between her, Anemone, Indigo, me, and Tamarin, Tidepool will be fine." Cas said.

"It's not her I'm worried about. But mother can't keep watch over a dragonet and be a good queen and a good wife all at once, at least not for long. Firefly will probably go next year." Shine volunteered.

"Oooooh okay." Cascade said. "Well, I gotta go. See you guys at the fight!"